Xylem’s Cyber Diamond Approach to Product Security
Cybersecurity is the protection of a computer system and networks from disruption, manipulation, theft, or damage of the services they provide. Cybersecurity as a Service is an outsourced data and network protection system that lowers security costs and reduces risk by leveraging external expertise.
- Secure products during engineering
- Secure deployments with defense-in-depth that manages risks to the operations of systems and products
- Continuous health and monitoring against emerging vulnerabilities and threats
- Incident Response for safe and resilient operations
Why is cybersecurity important to water?
- Over $1 Trillion USD / 950 Billion € global losses due to cybercrime in 2020, more than a 50% increase since 2018. Avg. cost per incident is over $500 K USD / 477 €.
- 150 Vulnerable Products used in water and wastewater systems
- 3rd Most Targeted Sector when compared to other critical infrastructure
- Number of Threat Actors Increasing: 7 threat actors shown to specifically target water and wastewater infrastructure globally
- 20,000 Utility Employees say cyber threats are what they fear could have the biggest impact on operations
- $18.2 Million USD / 17.5 Million € costs incurred due to a 2019 ransomware attack against a water utility in Maryland, US