Manufacturing Engineering Intern - Spring / Summer 2023Engineering | Auburn, NY, United States
We're Hiring for a Manufacturing Engineering Intern!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
The Role: The Intern may lead, or participate in, cross-functional projects to address and resolve manufacturing issues, with regard to the sustaining and continuous improvement of processes and methods to improve safety, quality and delivery, while reducing facility operational costs.
*This will be a 10 - 15 week full-time Internship position located onsite at our Auburn, NY facility*
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Will initially be primarily responsible for updating and/or developing production standard work instructions (SWI), Standard Work and other relevant manufacturing documentation (i.e. Checksheets, Tool Glossary, pFMEA, etc.) to improve quality, increase uptime (OEE) and improve on time delivery.
- Design fixtures, tools, and processes for safe and efficient manufacture, in-process inspection, and test of high volume production products.
- Sustain and/or improve production processes, primarily with Lean manufacturing techniques, but occasionally with six sigma methodologies, as a means to improve safety/ergonomics, increase process uptime (OEE), eliminate waste and deliver products to customer's expectations.
- Observe and evaluate production downtime incidents for root cause and identify and implement corrective actions Just-do-its or projects), utilizing formal problem solving tools such as A3 or 80 analysis, PFMEA's, Control Plans, etc.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow (routings), space requirements, and floor/factory layouts.
- May participate in continuous improvement Kaizens or action items from Kaizens throughout the facility.
- Any other relevant duties as assigned to help support the Manufacturing Engineering department, Maintenance Department and the facility as a whole.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PPT
- Experience in Lean manufacturing concepts and Six Sigma methods preferred
- Understanding formal problem solving methodologies
- Ability to design in 3D CAD (Inventor, SolidWorks, Creo, etc.)
Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (BSMET), BS Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering (IE), Electro-Mechanical Engineering (EMET)
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.