Associate Application EngineerEngineering | Charlotte, NC, United States
We’re Hiring for an Associate Application Engineer!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The Associate Application Engineer will be responsible for providing pre and post sales technical support for the development and implementation of complex products, applications, and or solutions. In this role, the incumbent will also work together with field sales, customer support, and project management team to support customers. We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Provides primarily pre-sales technical support for the development and implementation of complex products/applications/solutions. Uses in-depth product knowledge to provide technical expertise to sales staff and the customer through sales presentations and product demonstrations. Assists the sales staff in assessing potential application of company products to meet customer needs and may prepare detailed product specifications for the development and implementation of customer products/applications/solutions. May create detailed design and implementation specifications for complex products/applications/solutions. May build a mini application based on customer requirements to demonstrate feasibility of the application, often requiring rapid prototyping and/or product demo for client. May provide consultation to prospective users and/or product capability assessment and validation.
- Works closely with outside sales, internal colleagues, distributors, consulting engineers, or others to develop understanding of the consulting request. Partners closely with the requestor to information to better classify the need including level of technical involvement, expertise required, urgency, application, customer type, etc.
- Works closely with the party who requested consultation to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided to meet consulting need.
- Responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data to understand how to meet the requestor's consulting need or solve the problem. Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer or request.
- Responsible for meeting the requestor's consulting need or develop viable solution to requestor's problem. Typical problem solving could include turn-key or engineered-to-order system design, customer station design, custom accessory or ancillary equipment design support, training requests, engineering specification, or technical presentation and training development.
- Works closely with outside sales and internal colleagues to communicate and validate consulting need has been fulfilled or to present proposed solution. If requestor is not satisfied with outcome, the AE is responsible for further consultation. AE acts as advocate and advisor to ensure consulting need is met.
- Responsible for providing an initial, high-level review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Provides technical expertise to assist opportunity with initial tender review. May participate in on-site job walk at customer site.
- Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare project bid. Provides product and application expertise, design support, technical drawing support, etc. Advises sales team on technical request and implications as it related to the project.
- Responsible for providing a detailed review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Ensures proposal is feasible, technically viable, and profitable. Calls attention to any risk associated with the technical design of product offering or supporting equipment.
- Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to procure quotes. Provides design support for accessories and ancillary equipment, including third party buy-out items. Creates CAD drawings as necessary for quoting purposes.
- Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare and review bid package.
- Works closely with outside sales, operations, and others to obtain customer approval of any required testing. Provides technical expertise on testing questions or concerns. May serve as on-site consultant for customer witness testing. Understands Hydraulic Institute standards and acts as technical advisor for customer and internal colleagues to ensure appropriate testing is obtain and customer expectations are fulfilled.
- Predominant job responsibilities and requirements occur after the sale of the company's product to the client. Provides post-sales technical expertise during the installation, implementation, and maintenance of company products. May be involved in implementing detailed customer installation requirements. Ensures that client's needs have been met and that the product/solution is fully functioning according to specification. May provide follow-up support to company sales staff and customer personnel by disseminating technical information on specific applications.
- Works closely with outside sales, internal colleagues, distributors, contractors, consulting engineers, or others to develop understanding of the post-sale customer support needed. Partners closely with the internal colleagues to obtain classifying information of the need including level of technical involvement, expertise required, urgency, application, customer type, etc.
- Works closely with the party who requested post sale support to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided to meet post sales need.
- Responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data to understand how to solve the post-sale customer need. Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer and specific job.
- Responsible for developing solution or corrective measure to complete customer need. Typical proclaiming solving could include commissioning and start-up support, troubleshooting (both on site and/or virtual), technical documentation and reports, performance evaluation, product modification, or accessory redesign.
- Works closely with outside sales and internal colleagues to present proposed solution or corrective measure. If customer is not satisfied with proposal the AE is responsible for further corrective measures.
- Works closely with sales, operations, service, and others to implement proposed solution to satisfy customer's post sale need.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 0-2+ years of relevant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building skills with strong verbal and written communication skills.
DAY IN THE LIFE:
In this role, the physical demands may include but not limited to regularly sitting, standing, bending, reaching, etc. In addition, this role may require travel and exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants, contractor sites, and warehouse/shop environments where the use of PPE is required.
The estimated salary range for this position is $50,000 to $80,000 plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.