Senior Technical WriterEngineering | Bangalore, Karnataka, India
About the position
As an Information Developer at Xylem you will be a part of the global Technical Documentation Group.
You will develop technical product information in the Component Content Management System (CCMS) and Adobe Suite, and work closely with the technical documentation Project Coordinators and Subject matter Expert (SME) Engineers in developing Quick guides, Installation and Operation Instructions, Spare Parts catalogues, User Interface copy, and more, for customers of Xylem products and systems.
The work includes both technical writing and developing technical illustrations.
As you develop in your role there will be career opportunities to take on additional challenges in either a specialist or management track.
About the global Technical Documentation Group
A R&D team of cross-border technical information experts, responsible for the development of customer product information and dedicated to providing customers with quality results through intelligent content reuse (using XML technologies).
The group mission is to be a single source of Xylem's information content, available globally in reusable form, customer centric, governed by common processes, tools, and controls for multiple publication outputs to multiple channels in multiple languages.
The information developed by this team is used in Installation and Operation Instructions, Service and Repair instructions, Technical Specifications, Spare Parts catalogues, Programming guides, Quick guides, Mounting instructions, product catalogs, and more.
The group consists of a Content Development (production) team and a Documentation Systems team.
About the Xylem R&D team in Vadodara & Bangalore
This team is a shared R&D team responsible for developing and maintaining the Xylem product portfolio including pumps, turbines, accessories, monitoring & control systems, water analysis equipment, and documentation for these products.
List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance.
Content development and Quality assurance
- Develop text content for reuse and usability in accordance with product risk analysis’s, Subject matter expertise, and according to content development guidelines; Authoring Guidelines, Authoring Procedures, Graphics Guidelines, Information Model, Style Guide.
- Develop Technical Illustrations in line with requirements
- Perform analysis of existing content, responsible for task analysis (TA) and annotated topic lists (ATL)
- Maintain metadata, create illustrations/graphics, subject topics and maps
- Peer review
- XML coding and language
- Software assisted quality review of style, grammar and terminology
- Coordinate SME review
- Subject-matter review to ensure technical accuracy
- International standards & Product Safety review
- Final output review
- Coordinate approval process for the English original information
- Request translations
- Publish English original instructions
- Contribute the development of the CCMS folder structure and the Information Model
Part 2 Describe the Person
Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
BE with any steams Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, computer science, civil or equivalent.
- 6-8 years with Technical writing and Technical Illustrations
- Experience with standardizing terminology for use in technical documentation, user interface and its translation
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with single sourcing of Technical Documentation in DITA XML.
- Good knowledge of how to develop Technical illustrations in vector and pixel graphics formats
Applications may be asked to take a writing test to convey their content structuring abilities and technical English language skills.
Describe the most important competencies required of the individual. (the most important is first)
- Genuinely interested in Technical Writing and Illustrations, and sees as a present and future career in Technical Communications
- Communicative in verbal and written English language
- Experience with following a Style guide. E.g. in Simplified Technical English (STE) and Microsoft (or Chicago) Manual of Style
- Experience with coordinating development of a story board for assisting development of Technical illustrations
- Good understanding of SDLC, DDLC and Translations process
- Thorough and structured way of working
- Understands single sourcing in technical documentation and conditional profiling of content
- Ability to deliver on made commitments
- Analytic ability; Chunking, grouping, classifying and labelling according to guidelines
- Proficient in structuring text and understands the practice of metadata
- Experience in developing text content within XML vocabulary environments like DITA XML.
- Proficient in using these technologies (or their equivalents):
- Terminology and content checkers such as Acrolinx
- Component Content Management Systems (CCMS) such as Astoria On-Demand
- XML Editor, such as PTC Arbortext Editor or Oxygen XML Editor
- Content management with Bitbucket and Markdown markup language
- Basic understanding of connected systems, computer networks
- Experienced in Illustration tools and vector- and raster/photo illustration formats
- Adobe CC suite: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Experience with rendering 2d from 3d with Keyshot, and developing 3d service instructions with PTC Creo Illustrate, or similar software, is advantageous
- Good understanding of the publishing pipeline, content exchange and web publishing
- Good understanding of computer file formats such as XML, InDesign, Microsoft DocX
- Experience with managing tasks on MS Sharepoint and/or Atlassian Jira