Mechanical EngineerEngineering | Cambridge, UK, United Kingdom
Sentec Ltd is part of the Sensus group, a $1bn global business providing advanced communications and measurement infrastructure, collecting and analysing data managing the key resources of energy and water, helping to improve efficiency and quality of life. The Sensus Brand is in turn owned by Xylem, a $4bn organisation focused on delivering key water resources globally in a sustainable, efficient, and resilient manner.
Sentec’s facilities in central Cambridge form a world leading technology centre of excellence. Our team applies our knowledge of fundamental science, electronics, software, analytics and design across a wide range of advanced products, both within the Sensus/Xylem group, and to a number of selected third parties, including some familiar household brands. From brainstorming to prototype to manufacture and production process, Sentec clients benefit from outstanding ideas and class-leading products and services.
Sentec’s ownership structure provides a unique opportunity: we receive the insights, challenges, global view, and stability of a large corporation, we are left to operate in a small-company, agile, innovative manner to deliver solutions – which ultimately have a commercial route to market through our parent companies – giving our team the unique position of seeing their innovations being deployed in real commercial products. Sentec innovations are making important contributions to some of today’s key social and global resource issues – for example, there are now over 15 million smart city assets incorporating Sentec technology deployed around the world, enabling the management of energy and water resources.
Sentec has an open and supportive culture; we empower our people to deliver. We hire bright, thoughtful and motivated individuals, and recognise that our success as an organisation depends on creating an environment where great employees can thrive. Teams are fluid, and individuals are trusted to take on stretching work within a supportive environment that emphasises the importance of strong communication and knowledge sharing. The fast-paced, project-based environment provides opportunities for motivated people to get involved in all aspects of delivery and to develop into new technical areas.
As a Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Creating new and novel ideas or products that are sold in their millions
- Developing CAD designs to satisfy broad and challenging requirements
- Engineering detail designs and simulating performance
- Making prototypes and testing proof of principle demonstrators
- Design for low-cost manufacturing processes without compromising product performance
- Designing/making test rigs and assembly jigs
- Transferring designs to manufacture – including drawing packs and BoMs
To be successful in this environment and realise your potential you will need to have:
- A good degree (2.1 or above) in engineering
- At least 5 years of product development experience, preferably with a manufacturing company or engineering consultancy
- Strong 3D CAD skills including FEA / simulation.
- ProE/Creo experience essential. Windchill and Solidworks experience desirable.
- Familiarity with designing for various materials and manufacturing processes including injection moulding, casting, machining, stamping, coil winding etc
- Ability to work from first principles with strong mathematical analysis
- Ability to use workshop tools
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Good communication skills
- A focus on delivering great results quickly
- Experience with designing for high voltage / high current electricity will be of benefit.
- Experience with designing for demanding outdoor environments will also be of benefit
- Experience integrating electronics into consumer products is desirable
- Holiday package of 25 days per year
- Group life cover at 4 times basic salary
- Private health care
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme
- Relocation expenses as appropriate
- Annual performance and merit process
- Discretionary 10% All staff bonus scheme
- Employee referral bonus scheme
- Access to flexible benefits portal which includes things like cycle to work, critical illness cover, green car leasing
- Additional maternity and paternity benefits