Field Instrumentation Technician - NYOperations | Syracuse, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: YSI, A Xylem Brand, is accepting applications for a Field Service Technician to be responsible for installing, maintaining, calibrating and servicing a variety of hydrological, meteorological systems and sensors, telemetry, and data logging devices. This remote position will be 100% field based, with a moderate amount of overnight travel. This position will focus on a large multi-year project spanning Central New York State, from Niagara to Hamilton Counties. The ideal candidate for this dynamic position, will have a strong technical background, including computer and IT skills, be proficient with technical report writing and standard MS Office software and be efficient working independently with an emphasis on safety.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Follow company procedures, safety policies, SOP’s and checklists
- Monitor and maintain customer(s) monitoring sites and interface directly with clients and end users
- Keep maintenance and billing logs up to date
- Installation, activation, maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting of air and water quality monitoring instruments and data collection/telemetry systems
- Validation and certification testing to ensure installation or maintenance work is complete and meets client’s objectives
- Generate professional site visit reports and submit time and expenses as part of the project deliverables
- Read and interpret schematics and wiring diagrams
- Conduct client acceptance demonstrations and provide training to end users
- Assist with site construction and equipment installation of monitoring sites and apply techniques as needed for monthly site maintenance
- Maintain site appearance; perform necessary vegetation control, report vandalism or damage to sites
- Work extended hours as required to finish daily tasks or for unscheduled and emergency site repairs
- Work safely in demanding conditions (outdoors, near water, in harsh weather, in remote locations and around wildlife)
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- B.S. in Electronics, Instrumentation, Natural Sciences or other technical discipline and a minimum of 4 years of relevant field experience.
- Ability to pass background checks during hiring and as required by our clients
- Must have and keep a clean driving record
- Excellent customer facing skills and ability to communicate effectively through email and telephone
- Proven ability to work safely in demanding conditions (outdoors, near water, in harsh weather, in remote locations and around wildlife)
- Experience with water quality, flow and level measuring instrumentation
- Strong understanding of basic AC/DC electrical systems, batteries and solar charging systems
- Understanding of basic environmental processes for assessing data quality
- Strong knowledge of MS Office products including, Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio
- Must be a motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with appropriate sense of urgency
- Willingness to travel outside of local area with occasional extended travel required
- Unrelated or non-specific tasks may be assigned during low utilization periods or downtime; including tool and facility maintenance
- M.S. Degree in Electronics, Systems Engineering or other technical discipline preferred along with 2 years of experience working as a field technician.
- Experience with YSI, Sontek, Waterlog, Campbell Scientific instrumentation, cellular modems and antennas
- Working knowledge of computer networking, WiFi and IT systems
- Project Management experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Ability to lift and hold up to 40-50 lbs to head height
- Unrestricted ability to sit or stand, reach, bend and move for long periods of time
- Applicants should be comfortable working on or around water and be strong swimmers
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Field : Non-specific tasks performed at client field locations, outdoors, exposed to elements or inclement weather
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.