Senior Embedded Software EngineerEngineering | Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
We hire bright, thoughtful and motivated individuals, and recognise that our success as an organisation depends on creating an environment where great employees can thrive. Teams are fluid, and individuals are trusted to take on stretching work within a supportive environment that emphasises the importance of strong communication and knowledge sharing. The fast-paced, project-based environment provides opportunities for motivated people to get involved in all aspects of delivery and to develop into new technical areas.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or other characteristics protected by law.
SELC, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire an Senior Embedded Software Engineer. At SELC we apply our knowledge of lighting control, electronics, software, analytics and design across a wide range of advanced products, both within the Xylem group, and to a number of selected third parties. From brainstorming to prototype to manufacture and production process, our customers benefit from outstanding ideas and class-leading products and services.
Our ownership structure provides a unique opportunity: we receive the insights, challenges, global view, and stability of a large corporation, we are left to operate in a small-company, agile, innovative manner to deliver solutions – which ultimately have a commercial route to market through our parent company – giving our team the unique position of seeing their innovations being deployed in real commercial products. SELC innovations are making important contributions to some of today’s key social and global resource issues – for example, there are now over 1.5 million streetlights using SELC control and monitoring technology deployed around the world, reducing energy and operational cost for our customers and enhancing public safety .
As a member of our R&D team you will be responsible for research and development, delivering technical work on new products, and developing proof of concepts for demonstration to end customers and sales teams. The position is based at our SELC R&D office in Dublin, Ireland.
At SELC you will be working in a rapidly evolving industry at an exciting time for technologists developing solutions for the sustainability agenda in the Industrial Internet of Things domain. In order to be successful you will need to demonstrate leadership in pursuit of technical solutions and novel ideas, have a hands-on approach to problem solving and ultimately managing projects against time, budget and customer expectations.
The role is varied and you will be required to apply your problem solving skills on a daily basis. You should enjoy participating in a dynamic team, working towards deadlines and delivering excellent technical solutions. You will be required to communicate effectively in a wide range of environments, both with colleagues and customers across the globe.
We are looking for a candidate who is able to design and implement embedded software for high performance sensor measurement and control systems.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Motivated, curious, innovative, self-starting professional to contribute and grow as a part of our team.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet exacting requirements with high quality standards.
- Develop product firmware used for control and monitoring of streetlights, electricity metering and outdoor smart city sensor applications.
- Develop firmware for RF, optical, mag-coupled and tethered communications
- Integrate solid state metrology and/or sensors used within lighting control and metering products.
- Collaborate with hardware, mechanical and product engineers to ensure high quality, factory-ready products that adhere to schedule, cost and performance requirements.
- Collaborate with other development and test teams (e.g. CMS application, network/cloud infrastructure, analytics) to ensure products work flawlessly within SELC solutions and with 3rd party offerings.
- Analyze released product lines for improvement opportunities to maximize product quality, extend product lifetime and lower product cost. Drive planning and implementation of solutions through to field deployment.
- Assist hardware engineering in the review of microcontroller pin assignment, design calculations, analog and digital circuit design and PCB schematics/layouts.
- Assist Test Engineering in Design for Test (DFT) reviews, product firmware support for production test solutions, Built In Self Test, Configure To Order support.
- Assist quality assurance and marketing teams in investigating and analyzing defective product returned from customers
- Develop PC-based tools in (Python, Ruby, C#) for demonstration, automation and analysis of metrology and product performance data in support of Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and CI (Continuous Integration).
- Develop documentation required for collaboration, sustainability and internal processes.
- Interface with third-party companies to enable integration of their technologies with the SELC portfolio of products.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- B. Eng. in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or B.Sc. Computer Science
- At 10+ years of embedded OS and/or embedded systems development experience (both bare metal and RTOS).
- Experience writing assembly language and C code for micro-controllers in resource-limited situations (ROM/RAM/MIPS).
- Experience in writing Embedded software Test requirements and Test Plans.
- In-depth understanding of fixed point arithmetic issues and implementation techniques.
- Experience with Version Control Systems such as GIT or SVN
- Analyzing code execution using a debugger.
- Experience with common test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and spectrum analyzers.
- C#, Microsoft Visual Studio coding experience.
- Android App development experience.
- Knowledge of Lighting Control and Metering Standards/requirements (eg: DALI-2, ANSI C12.20)
- Experience with lighting control and/or utility metering products
- Experience tuning software for RF characteristics, power consumption and memory for optimal performance.
- Knowledge of concepts and algorithms for RF systems.
- Low power / microcontroller sleep states / battery operated devices
- Experience developing and debugging software on ARM Cortex architectures
- Application of Test Driven Design (TDD)
- Experience in writing system specifications (SPEC), Product Requirement Documents (PRD)
- Experience with Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility.
- Lifting and handling of medium weight parts up to 20kg.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office or site laboratory setting
- Estimated 10% travel requirement
- Standard weekly job hours: 39 hours
- Competitive salaries
- Holiday of 25 days per year, increases with length of service
- Group life cover at 4 times basic salary
- Private health care
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme
- Relocation expenses as appropriate
- Annual performance and merit process
- Employee referral bonus scheme
- Flexible and remote working