Project ManagerProject Management | Morton Grove, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Morton Grove Project Manager - Strategic Sourcing is responsible for developing and executing complex sourcing strategies pertaining to Direct and Indirect assigned categories and ensuring timely realization of the project. The most important function of the job is to oversee and ensure parts are properly qualified from alternate sources, or part changes are properly implemented with current suppliers, per an agreed to project plan.
The Morton Grove manufacturing operation is part of Xylem’s Applied Water Systems division and is a critical contributor to the divisions’ ongoing success and competitiveness in the market. Major direct materials categories include Motors, Engines, Castings, Machining & Fabrications, and Pumps which roughly total $120M in annual spend. Indirect categories include MRO, Perishable Tooling and Services with an approximate annual spend of $30M.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Lead sourcing activities for all NPI/NPD projects as well as supplier transitions across different categories (ex. Castings, machining, fabrication, polymeric, etc.) and be a point person for smooth transition to operations team after quality validation.
- Responsible for ownership and managing the execution of projects, ensuring quality and on time delivery performance to meet the project schedule. Working with the Category Manager, site teams, sourcing engineer/ sqe's, engineering, and sde's in country regions, work to a schedule that is agreed upon by stakeholders along with the methodology to be used for delivering project goals, reporting progress, and proper escalation action and communication to management.
- Improve working capital of the site by performing Make vs Buy analysis across all the product lines with complete TCO model and identify opportunities to cut down the cost.
- Become a sourcing lead on any operational projects related to labor reduction, improve efficiency, and increase productivity
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Project, Excel and other project management programs. Will possess outstanding organizational and leadership skills; coupled with the ability to see the big picture as well as the details. Must be strong at holding team members accountable for actions and tasks and work with them to understand root causes for delays or issues.
- Drive cross functional project teams as well as supplier actions to ensure that project is tracking to expectations; create a detailed plan which identifies the activities and owners needed to successfully complete the project.
- Monitor project deliverables constantly and effectively communicate with stakeholders (Engineering, QA, Marketing, Purchasing, GM, XGP team) to ensure all departments are aligned and agree to project deliverables. Ability to identify and mitigate risks / barriers; apply critical thinking to overcome obstacles and utilize escalation process if necessary to keep project on track.
- Act as point of contact between Xylem suppliers and sites, other XGP regional organizations; assuring complete understanding of project timelines for the assigned categories.
- Submit progress reports to stakeholders and senior leaders. Facilitate regular progress meetings with supplier and site; publish action log with owners and due dates to keep project on track. Accountable for project on time tracking from suppliers and sites and passionate about working with team members to stay on schedule, root cause and countermeasure obstacles for on time execution, including management elevation triggers when necessary cooperatively with action owners.
- Facilitate meeting with stakeholders to conduct a technical review to fully understand the site needs for the product. This review includes but is not limited to assuring outsource ready drawings, critical to function and critical to quality features clearly identified, inspection requirements, any subsequent testing or agency certification requirements. Include sourcing engineers/sqe's on the review sessions and inputs.
- Plan trips to suppliers with sourcing engineers and LCR SDE's and other managers to ensure project kick off, monitoring, high level overviews, countermeasures are in place to ensure teams are tracking to original plans that the project manager develops at project kick off with the site and suppliers.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Equivalent Education Level Required: Minimum of a BS or BA degree preferably with engineering background and Supply Chain or Operations Management/ Business Administration. CPSM, CPM or CSCP certification highly desired.
- Experience Required: Minimum of two year to five years of successful project management and/or progressive purchasing and supervisory experience plus equivalent experience.
Knowledge Required: Project Management & In-depth knowledge of Procurement and Materials Management concepts along with excellent negotiation, communication, and systems skills. Demonstrated knowledge of project management techniques and tools; direct work experience in project management capacity
- Excellent facilitation and analytical skills; interpersonal skills, team building and conflict resolution experience
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient in project management software (e.g., Microsoft Office Project, etc.)
- Bilingual Spanish
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. (Will be listed on all positions in the United States)