Director of OperationsOperations | Lubbock, TX, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Director of Operations to lead the Lubbock, TX facility.
The Director of Operations will be the most senior executive position at the site with responsibility for determining strategic vision for the organization, delivering financial results and achieving operational excellence as set by the business plan.
The Lubbock site (105K Sq. Ft.) is located in Lubbock Texas and is comprised of 245 people (66% hourly) and generates $118M US per year. The Director of Operations will have direct management of Manufacturing, including a foundry located in Slaton Texas (70K Sq. Ft.), Manufacturing Services, Logistics and Quality Assurance functions. The Business segments served are Agriculture, Commercial and Industrial and Municipal, with sales divided equally among these segments. Ultimate accountability for P&L performance for the business and site, as well as, facility safety and employee relations. Engineering, Finance, HR and Sales are connected through a management matrix.
Establish overall vision and strategy and approve policies and procedures that contribute to the overall corporate plan. In conjunction with functional leadership set, and monitor the performance of the business against standards and targets. Lead, guide, evaluate and develop a team of senior managers to ensure that the organization achieves its business objectives and complies with all relevant regulations and laws.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Leadership and Strategy - Prepares and executes business plans and strategies to increase market share; ensures alignment with and follows-up on the implementation of corporate business plans and strategies. Including
- Sets the vision for the business and leads and guides all functional areas to accomplish that vision.
- Sets goals to ensure the achievement of targeted key performance indicators and project deliverables.
- Work closely with the global functional organization; Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Engineering and Operations to insure alignment.
- Operations - Plan, direct and control all manufacturing activities in the location so that products are manufactured on schedule, within quality standards and cost objectives. Understands the needs of a global customer base and aligning the organization to meet those needs. Including:
- Determines optimal logistical flow of incoming and outgoing material and finished product
- Establish world class manufacturing process based on the lean principles and includes establishing reporting systems to provide feedback for continuous improvement.
- Ensure that ESH practices and procedures are in accordance with legal requirements and XYLEM policies.
- Manufacturing capacity, production and materials control, warehousing and site facilities, maintenance, industrial engineering and other manufacturing support activities.
- Financial - Executes plans to accomplish the financial goals as set in the annual budget process and meet expectation of year over year operational improvements
- Allocates resources - human, financial, technical, etc. - to achieve the balance between short - and long-term profits.
- Meets inventory turn performance goals and adjusting as indicated by results.
- Through the manufacturing services function, establishes and manages the capital budget process including new equipment, plant layout and equipment installation.
- People - Implement corporate people strategy in the organization and build a strong culture to support continuous improvement behavior
- Assigns and re-assigns responsibilities within the team to ensure the business goals of the company are met.
- Plans the succession for key positions, as well as the career development of key employees; ensures retention of those.
- Fosters an environment of accountability and collaboration where there is cross-functional execution for the local leadership team.
- Growth – Lead the profitable growth of the overall business, considering voice of customer, internal customers. Will establish a scalable business model
- Represents the company and its values in its relationship with major customers, suppliers, commercial and investment group and professional organizations.
- Maintains and enhances relationships with the existing set of customers to ensure high customer satisfaction and identifies key new targets.
- Grows Operating Income and overall revenue
- Lead with Character: Maintain the highest ethical standards in every interaction, internal or external to the company, consistently following Xylem’s Code of Conduct. Highly developed leadership skills, collaborative and strong communication skills
- Self-Development: Successful candidate is interested in new experiences and approaches. They are open to new ideas and continuously seek to increase their knowledge, and actively develop their skills in order to enhance performance and achieve personal and organizational success. They are fast learners with high potential.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Successful candidate believes in teamwork. They recognize and support team goals over individual goals, readily collaborate with others, recognizing and valuing their contributions and encourage team members to support each other.
- Prioritization and Planning: Successful candidate effectively manages multiple tasks to complete complex projects. They are organized and efficient, and able to define objectives, sequence, timeline, interdependencies and contingencies for projects or initiatives, maximizing time and resources and overcoming obstacles. They think strategically and are Commercial savvy.
- Results Orientation: Successful candidate wants results and is motivated by timely outcomes. They are steadfast in pursuit of their goals, focus on their target, and persevere in the face of adversity. They are tenacious and get things done, demonstrating and fostering a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS/BA Degree in Business or Technical field
- 10 years Leadership experience with at least 5 years leading a business with full financial P&L responsibility. Prefer depth in Industrial Manufacturing Operations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and scale a global business
- Has participated in, or lead, a turn-around or acquisition integration
- Industry experience should include pumps/water movement, electronics or other manufacturing industry in a highly configured environment
- Influencing skills
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including ability to effectively coach, motivate, empower, develop and evaluate employees.
- Strong bias for action, and effective change agent
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with all levels of external and internal customers.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in managing and facilitating teams through problem solving and conflict resolutions.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated high level of integrity
- Graduate degree in Business or Technical field
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Regularly required to listen, talk to, and see employees and/or customers on a daily basis.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Safety protocols and PPE to be closely observed.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours with extended hours as required to meet customer requirements
- Travel: Up to 25%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.