Application EngineerEngineering | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots.
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative, and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved, and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration, and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a technically skilled customer facing Applications Engineer specializing in application support. This role will be part of a newly formed team responsible for supporting our Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Software as a Solution (SaaS) customers and internal teams during the Regional Network Interface (RNI) software Upgrade process. Each member of the team is required to maintain an exemplary level of knowledge of our FlexNet solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Knowledge and experience to develop, implement, and maintain technical processes and web/command line tools.
- Good analytical skills, strong software aptitude and creative ability, a rigorous approach to analyzing and resolving complex technical problems
- Requires a self-starter capable of taking initiative
- Propensity to generate and maintain operational documentation and ability to host external/internal training sessions
- Conducts in-depth database monitoring and analysis for Sensus Regional Network Interface data streams
- Responsible for system integrations & analysis for the Sensus FlexNet System
- Troubleshoots highly complex system level issues that encompass system configuration, hardware, firmware, and software
- Monitor system hardware and software for proper delivery of data for customer operations
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to end customers
- Provide feedback to Design and Development Engineering for product improvement
- Engage Development Engineering and Professional Services for troubleshooting as required
- Develops bash shell/Perl Scripting as required
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Sciences; or 3 to 5 years of equivalent experience is required
- Experience in design, development, or system engineer role
- Operating systems: Linux (Red Hat/other), Windows (all flavors)
- Good knowledge of Perl and/or Unix shell scripting
- Mid-level Unix and Windows administration experience
- Recent Mid-level SQL experience (MS SQL, Postgres, and Oracle)
- Solid understanding of telecommunications concepts (CPE, backhaul, POTS networking)
- Solid understanding of basic networking concepts (ping, ssh, telnet, ftp, traceroute, etc.)
- Security: Knowledge of and experience with OpenVPN, Encryption, Firewalls, LDAP, Password Management is a plus
- Ability to work independently with little direction and also be a team player
- Ability to adapt to changes as the new team evolves and grows
- Self-directed, excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills; ability to do root cause analysis
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills are a must
- General background in RF technologies
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements. Remote work may be available ONLY after training period has been completed.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Willing to travel up to 25%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.