Senior Technical WriterEngineering | Bangalore, Karnataka, India
About the global Technical Documentation Group
This is an R&D team of cross-border technical information experts, responsible for the development of customer product information and dedicated to providing customers with quality results through intelligent content reuse (using XML technologies).
The group mission is to be a single source of Xylem's information content, available globally in reusable form, customer centric, governed by common processes, tools, and controls for multiple publication outputs to multiple channels in multiple languages.
The information developed by this team is used in Installation and Operation Instructions, Service and Repair instructions, Technical Specifications, Spare Parts catalogues, Programming guides, Quick guides, Mounting instructions, product catalogs, and more.
The group consists of a Content Development (production) team and a Documentation Systems team.
About the Xylem R&D team in Bangalore
This is a shared resource R&D team responsible for developing and maintaining the Xylem product portfolio including pumps, turbines, accessories, monitoring & control systems, water analysis equipment, and documentation for these products.
List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance.
- Develop content for reuse and usability in accordance with product risk analysis’s, Subject matter expertise, and according to content development guidelines; Authoring Guidelines, Authoring Procedures, Graphics Guidelines, Information Model, Style Guide.
- Perform analysis of existing content, responsible for task analysis (TA) and annotated topic lists (ATL)
- Maintain metadata, create illustrations/graphics, subject topics and maps
- Perform software assisted quality review of style, grammar and terminology
- Ensure Editorial review is performed on new content, before first time translation, to capture what the software assisted checks have not
- Conduct SME review to ensure technical accuracy
- Conduct Standards & Safety review
- Perform Final output review
- Set approval on the English source information
- Request translations
- Publish English original instructions
- Contribute the development of the CCMS folder structure and the Information Model
- Develop procedures for use by Engineering staff
Part 2 Describe the Person
Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
B.sc or B.E Engineering degree in Computer, Mechanical or Electronics Engineering, technical communication or equivalent
4-6 years (Senior Technical writer) with an international company with English as spoken and written language, or proven example of the equivalent competence level.
Experience with writing single sourced Technical Documentation in DITA XML. Basic experience with developing Technical illustrations in vector and pixel graphics formats.
Applications may be asked to take a writing test to convey their content structuring abilities and technical English language skills.
Describe the most important competencies required of the individual. (the most important is first)
- Genuinely interested in written language and sees Technical Documentation as a present and future career choice
- Ability to follow a style guide
- Good understanding of SDLC, DDLC
- Thorough and structured way of working
- Communicative and very strong in verbal and written English language
Merit if knowledgeable in Simplified Technical English (STE) and Microsoft (or Chicago) Manual of Style
- Understands single sourcing in technical documentation and conditional profiling of content
- Ability to deliver on made commitments
- Analytic ability; Chunking, grouping, classifying and labelling according to guidelines
- Great at structuring text and understands the practice of metadata
- Experience in developing text content within XML vocabulary environments like DITA XML.
- Proficient in using these technologies (or their equivalents):
- Component Content Management Systems (CCMS) such as Astoria On-Demand
- XML Editor, such as PTC Arbortext Editor or Oxygen XML Editor
- Terminology and content checkers such as Acrolinx
- PTC Creo illustrate, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, InDesign
- Basic understanding of connected systems, computer networks
- Experienced in Illustration tools and vector- and raster/photo illustration formats
- Understanding of the Technical Documentation and Localization processes
- Understanding of the publishing pipeline, content exchange and web publishing
- Basic understanding of computer file formats such as XML, InDesign, Microsoft DocX
- Experience with MS Sharepoint
- Good knowledge and experience working with XML vocabularies; HTML, DITA
- Good understanding of XML technologies, XQuery, metadata and conditional profiling