Applications Engineer IIEngineering | Charlotte, NC, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Applications Engineer II. The Applications Engineer II will expand the sale and rental of Xylem products by providing a complex range of technical assistance to ensure the proper selection and application of company products, accessories and services. The Applications Engineer II will be responsible for managing a team of Regional Application Engineers to assess market and competitive conditions to apply and design temporary pumping systems that are economically sound.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support and information on a timely basis covering the range of Xylem product offering to the sales organization, distributors, representatives, engineers and end-users. This includes the review of plans and specifications, hydraulic system analysis, design review, product and material selection, etc. to determine suitability for a particular purpose and to determine the proper selection and application of Xylem products to meet customer requirements.
- Actively manage a team of Regional Application Engineers to include hiring, onboarding, training, mentoring and career development and performance management.
- Excel and be the expert in at least one area of the product and/or application engineering field and be responsible for contacts with the Growth Center and development and education of other Application Engineers. When applicable take a leading role in the contribution to specified growth plans and focus areas such as GDP.
- Coordinate technical support for large cross-functional projects with other departments, branch offices or Xylem commercial teams. Work may include preparing proposals, bids, submittals or portions thereof. Act as liaison between local sales, manufacturing and R&D to ensure project requirements and schedules are met.
- Provide technical documentation, drawings, conceptual designs, technical report writing and design modifications to meet specified requirements. Review and comment on ancillary systems, components or accessories required or utilized in various applications to ensure ease, reliability and efficiency of operation. Ancillary systems may include lifting equipment, piping, electrical controls, etc. Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and redesign as necessary.
- Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and re-design as necessary. This may require travel including site visits and customer meetings
- Assist the sales organization to provide quotations by supporting and interfacing with the sales personnel, distribution or purchasing department to provide engineering data and/or drawings for the purpose of procuring certain accessories or custom fabrications to supplement the product sales.
- Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars. Develop and execute technical seminars for the benefit of sales personal and customers. This includes submitting and presenting technical papers at regional and national seminars.
- Provide other duties as assigned.
- Effective leadership, motivational, organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to assess, coach and develop talent
- Demonstrated technical and project management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently with initiative in a fast paced environment
- Effective interpersonal skills with customers, employees and management team; able to lead through influence
- Thorough understanding of fluid hydraulics
- Ability to read and comprehend electrical wiring diagrams
- General knowledge of diesel engines
- Proficiency with 2D or 3D CAD modeling, MathCAD and Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel frequently with little notice and for extended periods of time
- About 50% travel required
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Civil)
- 5+ years experience in related field; experience within construction, industrial, municipal or mining industries preferred
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
- Professional Engineer License preferred; if not licensed, must apply
- Green Belt Certification
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Shop/Job Site: Intermittent exposure to job site conditions; e.g., gas fields, petrochemical refineries, mills, mines, construction sites, industrial/power plants, waste water treatment plants, etc.; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: As required to fulfill the duties listed above. Other travel as needed or required by the company. In addition to the above, the performance of other related duties may be required. I have read and understand the contents of the above job description.
EOE including disability and veteran