Manager, Firmware EngineeringEngineering | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Firmware Manager, Advanced Water and Gas Meters who will be responsible for FW development including specification, design, implementation, verification and validation for new and existing water and gas meter products. This includes performing design tradeoff analysis between electrical, firmware and software product requirements. Must be a hands-on Engineering Manager to lead design staff and coordinate new product development projects in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Manage the water and gas meter firmware design and sustaining engineering team, including outside development resources (when required), and establish processes to efficiently design, develop, verify, and sustain products and to improve time to market.
- Develop and mentor the engineering team, focusing on continual improvement for each team member and for the collective team.
- Work closely with the mechanical and hardware development teams, making architectural decisions and design tradeoffs (between mechanical, electrical, firmware, and system software considerations).
- Manage multiple development projects, including detailed planning and scheduling, coordinating resource allocations based on established priorities.
- Ensure planning and execution of projects across necessary organizational functions, e.g. marketing, other R&D functional groups, product validation/regulatory, system verification, manufacturing, operations, customer service/support.
- Ensure the team follows best practices for firmware development, including solution and product documentation, coding processes and standards, code inspections, static analysis, and automated build and regression processes.
- Recruit, retain, and lead a world class development team.
- Perform annual written performance assessment of engineering personnel.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Must have a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline, M.S. preferred.
- 8+ years embedded firmware product design and development experience preferably focused on low power operation and battery powered RF communication devices.
- Demonstrated management experience in a product development environment leading firmware engineers developing new products and sustaining high volume products.
- Must be experienced with low powered embedded processors and associated tools required to design and validate firmware operating on RF communication and metrology products.
- Must have demonstrated success leading full life cycle development efforts (new product development to introduction of products in a high volume manufacturing environment, to supporting/sustaining high volume production). Must be familiar with best practices for code development and must emphasize their importance.
- Must be familiar with configuration management, issue tracking and static analysis tools and must emphasize their importance.
- Must be able to proficiently use documentation and communication tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, etc).
- Design experience with products for the utility industry, specifically water and gas meters, is preferred.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills and must be able to work independently and prioritize tasks for self and for team.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 25%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.