Intern – Application Software Development - Summer 2018College-University Recruiting | Covington, LA, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. With its October 2016 acquisition of Sensus, Xylem added smart metering, network technologies and advanced data analytics for water, gas and electric utilities to its portfolio of solutions. The combined Company’s nearly 16,000 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2016 revenue of $3.8 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand is seeking Intern Candidates with a Software Development background to join our Engineering team. The incumbent will develop and implement utility metering products involving complex software, embedded systems, RF communications, tooling and electronics. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met.
- Interest in working with the development of Software used for User Interface or Automated Test of custom designed communication devices.
- Someone who is self-driven and an independent problem solver
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Pursuing a BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- 0-2 years’ experience with PC or Embedded software development
- Experience with Microsoft Visual C# or C++ or other high level programming language
- Experience interfacing with Common PC interfaces (COM Ports, USB devices, Ethernet, and Bluetooth)
- Understanding of Basic Communication protocols.
- Some exposure to common test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, frequency analyzers and network analyzers is also highly desired.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally with both local and remote sites
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams
- Experience with Android or iOs app development
- PyCharm Phython Programming/Scripting or National Instruments Labview experience
- Exposure to Embedded C application development under FreeRtos
- Experience with Linux Shell Scripting
- Experience as a Lead Engineer for your last academic - technical project
- Exposure assisting with the development and testing/verifying of embedded systems
- Exposure assisting Quality Assurance and Marketing in investigating and analyzing defective product returned from customers.
- Exposure to a fast paced team environment where you have interfaced regularly with electrical, back-end software, mechanical and system test engineers on system level design development
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Regularly required to listen, talk to, and see employees on a daily basis.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours