Demand Planning ManagerOperations | Morton Grove, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: This role is a critical part of the organization's SIOP team and is responsible for managing long and short-term forecasts for all assigned product lines and families. This role interacts closely with Sales and Product Management to build a cross-functional demand planning forecast that will be used as the basis for production planning and material purchasing throughout the supply chain.
The Demand Planning Manager uses a variety of data sources including sales promotional data, new product plans, and statistical modeling to create a demand signal to drive supply chain and Integrated Business Planning. The monthly goal is to deliver an accurate and cross-functionally aligned 18 month rolling demand plan. A key responsibility of the Demand Planning Manager is to develop, document, update and challenge the assumptions supporting the demand plan.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Develop demand forecasts (operational forecasts) at multiple levels of aggregation and time horizons as part of a demand planning function.
- Continuously analyze, report, and evaluate forecast error rates and develop root-cause action plans to reduce forecast errors and continuously improve the process.
- Review historical sales trends, research demand drivers, prepare forecast data, develop statistical forecast models, and evaluate forecast results.
- Coordinate cross-functional research activities to reconcile significant variances and refine the forecast model to reflect updated sales and product management assumptions.
- Interact with sales, product management, and finance to understand demand forecast drivers such as end of month / year activities or other promotional or event based activities.
- Use and maintain the Demand Works (Smoothie) software as the primary forecasting system tool.
- Provide input to the Supply Planning organization in developing inventory strategies on existing items, new products, and product phase-outs.
- Closely coordinate and communicate demand signals with supply planning.
- Partner with Product Management by leading the demand review meetings to develop and communicate a consensus forecast.
- Generate and distribute reports to communicate forecast changes throughout the organization and how those changes might impact inventory or capacity.
- Create statistical forecasts: Gather, analyze and validate data; Execute statistical modeling software; Review resulting statistical forecast model; Apply error analysis techniques to improve forecasting; Summarize/aggregate statistical forecasts
- Review sales plans, financial budgets and estimates and other demand drivers: Present, solicit, and assess feedback on the various forecasts from Product Management, Sales, and Finance
- Achieve consensus for operational demand forecasts by facilitating a collaborative planning process with marketing sales, and finance personnel: Prepare relevant material to facilitate research and discussion.
- Provide input to volume planning (latest estimates / annual process): Facilitate monthly demand review meetings.
- Maintain demand planning system and software: Enter and modify data to ensure a good statistical forecast. Evaluate and maintain outlier demand. Monitor trends in forecast error; Identify relevant market-related data and competitive intelligence.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7 years of experience in Demand Planning, Product Management or Supply Chain, with significant experience in planning, statistics or data analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Marketing or a related field
- Advanced technical or business degree, MBA preferred
- Demonstrated Continuous Improvement (CI) experience - Lean Six Sigma experience and/or Green Belt.
- Strong leadership, communication, analytical, and problem solving skills to drive decisions and build consensus among stakeholders.
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel and Access to design and execute complex queries and reporting
- Strong mathematical and statistical knowledge; Experience with Business Intelligence applications (examples: Alteryx, Tableau, Power BI).
- Proficiency in Demand Planning Systems – Preferably Demand Works (Smoothie)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office / Work at Home: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office / home setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.