Business Development ManagerMarketing | West Coast, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Market/Business Development Manager is responsible for formulating growth strategies that measurably improve the business’ market position, drive differentiated customer experiences and achieve financial growth in a particular end customer segment. The role will combine market intelligence, data-driven insights and a deep understanding of customer needs to identify trends, “white space” opportunities, and develop areas of competitive advantage to drive revenue growth.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Sources and interprets multiple and complex data sets (from internal and external sources) into insights that lead to profitable business actions.
- Produce a robust multi-year “Market Map” based on identification of under-served customer markets, monitoring of industry trends and high-growth, attractive market/technology drivers.
Regularly gathers and analyzes business, market and competitor information and supports the development of the strategic marketing plan.
- Leads Voice of Customer programs to solve strategic growth questions for the business and sense for latent customer needs.
New Business Development:
- Develops go to and get-to market strategies for existing products/applications/markets in geographies where market share is low compared to goals and/or are targeted areas for growth.
- Works closely with the Demand Generation Manager to develop targeted lead generation and brand building marketing campaigns that can be directly attributed to revenue growth.
- Identifies potential market adjacency opportunities.
- Works with channel partners to build their business.
- Partners with sales to identify strategic accounts and provide insights, training, or other support as needed.
- Performs thorough assessments of the potential for specific new target markets and technology opportunities and develops go-to and get-to market strategies to pursue these opportunities
- Builds industry and customer alliances and participates in industry/trade organizations.
Identifies potential business partners and scouts for M&A opportunities.
- Develops content for and/or participates in training events for customers and sales organization.
- Demonstrates thought leadership by presenting in industry seminars, leading webinars and publishing white papers.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BA or BS in Marketing, Business or Engineering 8-15 years of related experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for driving growth and value creation.
- Balance strategic and tactical efforts - Ability to get credible results/wins working one-on-one with sales & ops AND providing a clear 3-5 year framework for accelerating profitable growth.
- Ability to create followership and influence – get teams rallied around the business especially in sales & product management by informing, listening, convincing, and persuading others to action on key growth initiatives.
- Collaboration and teamwork. Proven track record of teamwork, innovation and results.
- Converts theory and insights into specific actions.
- Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities in a poised, self-driven manner.
- Superior business perspective, problem solving, and command skills.
- Pump industry experience, including aftermarket and service experience highly preferred
- Sales, Marketing and/or BD background
- MBA desired
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- 50 % – 70% this position is location independent, although preference will be made to candidates in the Western region of the US.
EOE including disability and veteran