Burr Bench Operator - First ShiftManufacturing | Lubbock, TX, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Burr Bench Operator to perform deburring, under filing, polishing and balancing operations on pump impellers of various metallurgies.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Maintain high safety standards and follow all company safety rules
- Balance impellers on balancing machines.
- Clean impellers with files and pneumatic grinders to smooth surfaces
- Under file and polish impellers following engineering chart or PIR instructions
- Select correct arbor and bearing segments and set machines for balancing
- Use standard setup sheets or make new setup sheets, recording machine adjustments for impellers not previously balanced
- Set machine in operation to determine out of balance sections
- Calculate amount of stock to grind to remove stock.
- Utilize provided PPE when grinding (protective face hood, safety glasses, cut-resistant gloves, ear plugs, apron, sleeves) as well as employee owned metatarsal guard safety shoes.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High School Diploma / GED
- 6 months industrial/manufacturing experience desirable
- Ability to communicate with people and follow verbal and written instructions
- Should be able to learn to understand and apply the principals involved in the operation of the dynamic balancing and under filing operations, and apply these principles in balancing and under filing various sized impellers.
- Use shop arithmetic and make simple calculations, and read curves.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work in standing or sitting position 10 hours/shift
- Considerable arm movement
- Work requires close attention to lifting and handling of medium weight parts up to 35 lbs. Heavy parts raised to position with chain hoist
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Average shop conditions with some temperature variations due to seasons
- Subjected to noisy environment requires wearing of ear plugs.
- Standard PPE required: safety glasses or safety goggles, face shield, ear plugs, safety shoes with toe and metatarsal guards, gloves and protective apron and/or sleeves (provided by company except for shoes)
EOE including disability and veteran