Application Support EngineerCustomer Operations | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire an Applications Support Engineerfor purposes of coordinating field activity, performing MS SQL and Oracle database data mining, data analysis, compiling reports and assisting with resolving technical problems within the Sensus RF network. You will provide the technical support & leadership in helping utilities and municipalities deploy wireless metering infrastructure and meters.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide operational support to Application Support Specialists, Project Management and customers
- Conducts in depth data base monitoring and analysis for Sensus Regional Network Interface data streams
- Support system integration & analysis for the Sensus FlexNet System
- Provide support on a complex system by troubleshooting system configuration, hardware, firmware, and software issues
- Monitor system hardware and software for proper delivery of data for customer operations
- Provide feedback to design and development engineering for product improvement
- Develops bash shell/Perl Scripting
- You will be responsible for delivering a system solution that is optimized, reliable, and flexible that provides advanced measurement, data collection, analysis and control capabilities and helps our customers improve operational efficiency while reducing their environmental impacts
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Sciences; or equivalent experience is required. New graduates are welcome to apply
- 2 years related work experience considered a plus
- Experience in the utility or telecommunications considered a plus
- Willingness to learn Unix shell and Perl scripting within the first 6 months of hire
- Must be a quick learner with a technical background
- Recent Mid-level SQL experience (MS SQL, Postgres, and Oracle)
- Basic understanding of basic networking concepts (ping, ssh, telnet, ftp, traceroute, etc.)
- Ability to work independently with little direction and also be a team player
- Self-directed, excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, including well-developed listening skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical teams
- Familiarity with SalesForce.com for customer service considered a plus
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Willing to travel up to 50% at times
EOE including disability and veteran