Application EngineerCustomer Operations | Morton Grove, IL, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Applications Engineer. The Application Engineer position will provide technical and commercial support to all customers. Work efforts include technical support such as specification review, product selection and order feasibility; project management including order execution and follow up; external customer touch calls; and engagement in special projects to support continuous improvement to increase productivity and reduce cycle time while increasing legendary customer service.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Support sales channel partners and other external customers by providing pre through post-sales technical and commercial support.
- Provide Application Engineering support to customers with design and proposal of Xylem’s systems; specification review for the purposes of identifying and facilitating pre-bid needs
- Prepare customer proposals and quote letters for assigned projects. Includes project takeoffs, specification review, and special quote generation.
- Coordinate with Sustaining Engineering team for technical support. Act as a liaison between Sustaining Engineering and the customer.
- Develop technical depth and understanding of Xylem product and application knowledge
- Handle quote to cash process. Work to maximize appropriate additional change orders. Prepare cost estimates, proposals and work with sales in negotiating final price and customer acceptance resulting from scope of supply changes / change orders.
- Coordinate shipping processes to meet project schedule requirements. Review equipment order status reports as needed, to identify critical delivery requirements. Coordinate equipment delivery requirements with the Customer.
- Utilize Customer Relationship Management (CRM), quotation and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools to input new data and maintain existing data to current status to support internal and external customer interactions and needs
- Create legendary customer service experiences for all customers
- Provide support as requested for technical education and training on product application software tools, technical product information, process flow or general customer support to other sales support positions.
- Participate in special projects to create best practices, improve processes, create training tools or to support Xylem initiatives as determined and conduct related presentations or training sessions
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Inspiring accountability
- External:Direct and indirect customers
- Internal:Sales, operations and engineering teams
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 4-year degree in engineering. 3-4 years’ experience preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Technical knowledge as it relates to the understanding of engineered solutions equipment and related tools
- Ability to gain expertise in Xylem required product configuration and selection tools
- Strong customer service skills
- Good collaborative and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and task management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to work with diverse workforce and customer base
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience with Salesforce.com Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Configure Price Quote (CPQ), and/or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools
- Ability to train personnel to perform standard technically oriented work
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- <25% travel required to fulfill the duties listed above; other travel as needed or required by the company
- Other local requirement:Customer Solutions team covers extended hours of 8:00 am to 6:30 pm; may require shift in start and end times to accommodate customer base outside of the standard 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
EOE including disability and veteran