Account Manager - Southern Mid-AtlanticSales | Any Location - North America, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: This position is responsible for selling company products and services to customers in an assigned territory with a defined sales target quota. The selected candidate will represent the company to the customer in all sales and post-sale activities. Applies knowledge of products, pricing plans, competition, marketing objectives and sales skills to sell company products/services. Provides feedback to the company concerning market trends, competitive information, and new opportunities for existing/new products/services.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Secure orders from existing and new customers by means of visiting the customer’s facility and contacting by phone/email.
- Develop strong working relationships with our laboratory distributor partners.
- Maintain high visibility, high profile schedule of customer contact and follow-up.
- Establish professional customer/vendor relationship with appropriate personnel.
- Submits monthly activity reports concerning customer-related activities for quotes, orders, and problems concerning customer relationships.
- Perform Equipment Demonstrations as required, maintain and provide safekeeping of demonstration equipment.
- Maintains monthly forecasts accurately projecting current and future business.
- Identifying and sourcing new business resulting in the growth of the territory.
- Establish and maintain communication with supervisor, marketing, customer support, and other inter-company personnel.
- Travel, as required, to achieve sales quota, and to meet goals and objectives set for the region. The position requires approximately 50% overnight travel.
- Continued attention to personal appearance and demeanor.
- Participate and network in local market associations in which customers participate to become a vital part of the “culture” in which the customer base exists.
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with business partners.
- Effectively utilize corporate resources to maximize return on resource investment.
- Communicates to management knowledge of competitors in territory including:
- Competitive representatives
- Methods of selling and servicing
- Competitive product strengths and our responses to them
- Competitive weakness
- Administrative work including:
- Maintenance of client information in company CRM system
- File expense reports in a complete and timely manner
- Prepare business plans for coverage of territory
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Must be well organized and highly motivated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the sales process.
- Ability to manage multiple sales opportunities and tasks.
- Must possess reasoning ability to solve practical problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Must be proficient in spreadsheet, word processor, and database software packages.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and the metric system as well as apply mathematics to calculate discounts margins, percentages, volume etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Must maintain a good credit standing to accommodate business travel expenses.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related science.
- Minimum three (3) years-analytical equipment sales experience.
- Any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly required to use hands and fingers
- Regularly required to walk, sit, stand and drive a vehicle for extended periods
- Occasionally lift and or move up to 70lbs
- Vision or corrected vision for close, distance and peripheral vision
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- While the functions, responsibilities, abilities and physical demands are representative of the characteristics needed or tasks encountered while performing the job, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, airborne fumes and particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation. Noise levels in the work environment are usually moderate but may occasionally be excessive.
EOE including disability and veteran