Proactively Manage Your Assets
Multiply the productivity of your asset management spending while lowering risk of failures
Water and wastewater are your most capital-intensive utility services, with buried infrastructure accounting for a majority of the asset value of most utilities. Research demonstrates that these asset managegement programs are based on limited information on actual condition and/or criticality. Consequently, much of this spending is wasted on replacing assets with significant remaining useful life, resulting in little impact to level of service. Xylem's new approach to proactive asset management uses decision intelligence to focus limited resources on the assets that need the greatest attention and will provide the biggest return for their communities.
The Power of Decision Intelligence delivers new standards of best practice that combine real-time sensing and condition data with advanced analytics to maximize the “risk return on investment” of asset management spending. In practice, this means utilities that leverage these tools will reduce risk to the community more effectively with every dollar of asset management spending because decision intelligence tools rigorously prioritize available investment dollars to minimize the likelihood and impact of any asset failure.
Modern tools include:
- Risk-based asset prioritization that leverages condition data and advanced algorithms to estimate the probability of failure of each asset, while analyzing socioeconomic data from a variety of sources to estimate the associated consequence of failure, to target dollars at projects that minimize the community’s total risk exposure
- Comprehensive condition assessment to provide actionable information on the condition of critical assets including environmental, operational, and other risks to structural integrity
- Hazard reduction through the identification, localization and mitigation of pressure activity that may damage pipeline integrity or potentially cause water quality issues
- System control assessments to collect information on the condition, location, and position of control valves across the system, including regular measures to maintain operability, and rehabilitation services that restore system control at a fraction of a cost of replacement programs
- Flexible field applications to engage and enable field staff to access and input critical data, empowering decision makers with timely insights to improve operational processes and address issues as they arise
Taken together, these approaches enable a comprehensive, cost-effective strategy that can help utilities gain control of leakage with significant operational, financial and community benefits.
Download our brochure to learn how your utility can harness the power of decision intelligence to proactively manage your buried assets.