Manage the Urban Watershed
Reduce the cost of safely reclaiming wastewater.
The key imperatives of wastewater and storm water management include ensuring compliance with environmental regulations at the lowest total cost. This task is becoming more difficult with stronger and more variable wet weather incidents, deteriorating infrastructure, intensifying inflow and infiltration issues, and more complex constituents in wastewater (e.g. wet wipes, microbeads) requiring new mitigation measures. At the same time, the wastewater treatment process remains extremely energy intensive and vulnerable to shifting volumes and concentration of wastewater influent.
The Power of Decision Intelligence delivers new standards of best practice that leverage technologies, real-time monitoring, data analytics, and system modeling to minimize the cost of maintaining compliance, both through capital optimization and energy efficiency:
- A real-time digital twin of the wastewater collection system enables real-time management of the wastewater network. By optimizing capacity utilization using coordinated real-time control of gates, valves, pumps, and tanks, the total effective capacity of the system can be increased with little or no construction of additional infrastructure. Digital twins can also identify, locate, and characterize I&I to prioritize mitigation efforts and can optimize sewer cleaning schedules to address blockages in order of importance.
- Critical force main assessment and ongoing monitoring can identify defects and risks of failure in these essential assets, lowering the risk of leakage and compliance violations in this part of the collection system.
- Risk-based asset prioritization reduces the risk of failure by leveraging condition assessment data and machine learning tools to evaluate each asset’s probability of failure, while also incorporating multi-disciplinary socioeconomic data to estimate the consequence of failure.
- Intelligent pumping systems provide real-time visibility into current conditions, enable proactive maintenance programs that ensure uptime, and dramatically reduce the risk of clogging and backups at the lift station.
- Digital twins of the treatment plant enable process optimization, decreasing energy consumption and increasing process stability, throughput rate and effluent water quality. Coupled with real-time control of sewer networks, these twins can stabilize flows into the plant, generating even greater performance improvement.
Taken together, these approaches significantly reduce the capital and operating costs of collecting and treating wastewater in compliance with environmental regulations.
Download our brochure to learn how your utility can harness the power of decision intelligence to manage the urban watershed.