Shop Floor Supervisor, 3rd ShiftOperations | Cheektowaga, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The role: Xylem seeks to hire a 3rd Shift Shop Floor Supervisor. This position is accountable for the supervision of hourly employees engaged in handling, storing, moving, welding, machining, assembly, painting, testing, repair of components, pressure vessels and parts. Responsible for time and attendance reporting, labor (standard hours) reporting, manpower, and department inventory requirements.
- Supervises assigned employees in the daily performance of duties related to department workload.
- Works with and receives priority direction from Production Planner to ensure meeting of schedule product ship dates.
- Supervises and is responsible for employee training. Provides employees with adequate training to ensure quality and efficient production of product. Provides training to other supervisors as directed.
- Responsible for the quality of work and productivity of assigned departments. Daily reviews on time deliveries, productivity, (standard hours), schedules, order input, etc.
- Responsible for manpower and overtime requirements. Makes recommendations to the Manager of Manufacturing to provide successful operation and efficiency of assigned department(s).
- Reviews, informs and makes recommendations to the Manager of Manufacturing as to the status of assigned departments(s) as well as general manufacturing techniques and methods.
- Ensures daily housekeeping is maintained within assigned department and surrounding areas. Promotes the use of sound and effective safety practices in the performance of all functions.
- Orders and/or recommends procurement of tool supplies for use within department. Accountable for all departmental purchases.
- Responsible for ensuring all drawings, codes, procedures, programs, policies, etc. are adhered to.
- Attends organizational, safety, scheduling and other meetings as required. Provides input as to effect of any pending changes on productivity, product flow, etc.
- Issues discipline when warranted under the terms of the bargaining agreement or company rules and policies in a consistent manner.
- Operates data entry equipment within in a multi-level program environment. Operates PC based systems, including Microsoft Office or equivalent systems. Maintains a working knowledge of that equipment and systems.
- Works overtime as required/directed to support customer needs and company objectives.
- Reviews all documents for obvious discrepancies and brings to the attention of responsible department.
- Works with other Shop Floor Supervisors to optimize use of all available hourly employees.
- Works with/assists Quality Control in identifying and resolving quality related issues. Implement corrective action as required to eliminate recurrence of issue.
- Responsible for all equipment use and maintenance.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field and two years’ experience as a supervisor in a manufacturing environment –or- six years related supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a technical field with background in welding, machining, vacuum brazing or other highly technically advanced backgrounds.
- Implement Lean Initiatives as assigned.
- Nature: Interfaces and works with customers, marketing, accounting, manufacturing engineering, human resources, shop personnel, and QA as required to fulfill job requirements and company objectives
- Scope: Must exhibit good organizational skills and perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy. Researches and recommends training, seminars, etc. required to update and improve supervisory skills as well as remain informed of the latest manufacturing techniques. Understand and Implement lean Initiatives.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), Shop Manufacturing Environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Shop Environment: Concrete floors, standing majority of shift
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Hours: Sunday - Friday, 10:30pm - 7:00am
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.