Designer/Sr DesignerEngineering | Freedom, PA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Treatment Organization of Xylem manufactures ozone, filtration, biological, and disinfection water treatment equipment for use at water and wastewater treatment facilities.
Your Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Designer or Senior Mechanical Designer who will work within a multi-disciplinary regional team. The position will be located at our Freedom, PA office. This position is responsible for creating mechanical design equipment and fabrication drawings for the North America Ozone Team’s product line in accordance with company established specifications and industry standards.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Prepare drawings in collaboration with the Systems Engineering Group staff and Project Managers
- Take design concepts from engineering staff and create all design documents that fully specify the design intent and support manufacturing of all parts and assemblies
- Prepare mechanical design documents
- Revision control on all CAD files
- Make recommendations to improve product cost, quality and manufacturing efficiency
- Work with engineering and production personnel to troubleshoot and resolve any design issues
- Create and maintain all drawing files and keep them updated according to Company procedures
- Provide basic design backup for application and design engineers
- Works independently on projects with little or no supervision and consults with the Design Supervisor and Project Engineers as required
- Support the project execution team in review of plans and specifications, entry into standard product calculations and documentation
- Review and approve work performed by other Designers/Technicians
- Develop Xylem Inc. product specific layout drawings utilizing SolidWorks, AutoCAD and PTC Creo and prepare bills of material
- Ensures that drawings incorporate all design features and maintain the product standards
- Assist with customer support & execute team actions to deliver on our commitments
- Review and approve layout and fabrication drawings of other department personnel as needed
- Checks designs of new parts and assemblies for dimensional accuracy and compliance with current standards
- Maintain a high degree of understanding of water treatment processes
- Assist in development of lessons learned and take part in point kaizen to continuously improve
- Identify cost saving design solutions within project work
- Adheres to Xylem Standard Operating Procedures
- Responds to routine customer inquiries and provides customer basic support
- Develop an in depth knowledge of water treatment processes and their operation
- Travel to project sites, supplier’s factories, and technical conferences as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Associate’s degree in Design, Drafting or related technical field with at least three (3) years of experience in custom manufacturing environment with emphasis on smaller structural steel and piping; or similar equivalent experience
- Proficient in 3D modeling CAD packages preferably SolidWorks, PTC CREO and AutoCAD
- Basic knowledge of electrical practices
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and work independently
- Read and interpret complex engineering drawings and specifications
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Occasional exposure to shop and field elements (Wastewater Treatment Plants)
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.