Maintenance TechnicianOperations | Cheektowaga, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: “Xylem, Inc. seeks a strong Maintenance Technician for its AWS Cheektowaga, NY facility on the 2nd shift that is responsible for set up, installation, maintenance, safety and repair of plant machinery, structures, systems and basic electrical/electronic work.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of practices and techniques, and operation of various types of equipment, tools, fixtures and instruments.
- Plans, details, (including material and equipment requirements) and carries out all tasks related to the maintenance, repair and installation of plant equipment and structures.
- Support subcontractor installation and repair efforts.
- Receives instructions, interprets requirements and performs required tasks. Ensures work is performed in a manner which meets existing codes, specs and regulations governing the operation and installation of
- Recommends tooling and equipment necessary to support work.
- Maintains familiarization with plant emergency systems including alarms, fire fighting systems, (sprinkler, extinguishers, etc).
- Performs basic troubleshooting, modification and repair of plant electrical supply and distribution systems.
- Responds to emergency situations ensuring minimal exposure to any health or safety risks for themselves or plant personnel. Works to protect plant property against damage.
- Obtains material, fixtures and tools necessary to perform assigned duties. Rigs and operates crane, forklift truck, handcart, etc. to handle, move, and position parts and equipment as required.
- Demonstrates ability to work alone and with minimal supervision.
- Strictly adheres to start up, cleaning, and shut down procedures/directions for all paint equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance work and monthly, annual or otherwise scheduled inspections of plant equipment, vehicles, cranes, systems and tooling.
- Maintains required records (electronic and/or hard copy).
- Disposes of materials in accordance with all regulatory agency requirements.
- Verify all gauges and measuring tools are within proper calibration dates.
- Performs daily safety checks on power vehicles and record findings on check off sheets.
- Wears, cleans, and properly maintains required personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Participates in all training deemed necessary to support job function and as required by regulatory agencies. Pass any required tests to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency of skills.
- Is at the forefront of Heat Transfer’s safety program. Considers and follows all safety precautions when performing work on equipment and plant systems. Ensures proper isolation of electrical devices to prevent injury or adverse affects on other systems. Observes all safety and shop rules.
- Required to perform work at heights over 20 feet. Required to use articulating boom lifts and other forms of man lifts.
- Assists and/or trains new employees in job classification.
- Maintains good housekeeping and a safe environment throughout work area(s), sweeps area(s), clears debris, etc. on a daily basis to assure this. Notifies supervisor of any unsafe conditions.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Two year college degree with evidence of experience in maintenance applications or 3-5 years practical experience in a manufacturing facility including familiarity with electrical, electronic and mechanical applications. Evidence of formal training in electrical/electronics is required, but may be waived based on practical experience.
- Competent in reading, interpreting drawings and capable of performing simple math calculations (addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication).
- Must pass a written test.
- Must possess a valid New York State driver license with no moving violations for the previous two years, as well as never having been convicted of a DWI/DUI violation. Must supply a current DMV report verifying same.
- PPE Note:
- If it becomes necessary to issue a respirator to an employee in order to allow that person to fulfill any aspects of this job classification, that employee shall comply with the requirements of OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134. This includes but is not limited to: a medical assessment, fit test, maintaining inspection records, performing seal check prior to each use and ensuring the respirator is kept clean and stored properly.
Additional preferences for a specific position.
- Walking, climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, etc.
- Lifting of 35lbs
- Requires working with high lifts and man lifts.
- Environment includes interior and exterior work, subject to cold temperatures
- Typical heavy manufacturing facility with welding, machining, assembly, etc.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. (Will be listed on all positions in the United States)