Field OperatorOperations | Mira Loma, CA, United States
We’re Hiring a Field Operator!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
The Role: The position of Field Operator is responsible for supporting the delivery, installation and operation of Xylem equipment on Xylem Service Center sites and/or customer job sites. The Field Operator will maintain a clean and orderly work site environment to enable safe and efficient movement of workers and motorized equipment throughout the site.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Delivery & Yard Maintenance
- Identify all items to be delivered or picked up with customer to ensure completeness and accuracy. Perform visual inspection of equipment being picked up and note any damage. Obtain customer’s signature on appropriate paperwork.
- Utilize motorized equipment handling machinery to safely load equipment on and off trucks and trailers.
- Secure all items loaded on the truck for safe over-the-road travel in accordance with Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA), Federal Department of Transportation and local Department of Transportation guidelines.
- Assist in securing load utilizing straps and chains.
- Ensure yard and loading areas are clear of debris and trash; accessories and equipment are organized and easy to access.
- Follow all safety processes and procedures and maintain a ‘Safety First’ approach when completing daily work tasks. Complete a Job Safety Assessment before beginning any job on a customer site. Ensure compliance with all Personal Protective Equipment requirements.
Installation & Operation
- Travel locally to mobilize/demobilize small pump systems on customer job sites. Ensures pipeline, pump equipment and accessories are installed according to specification.
- Operate fusion machine to build HDPE (high-density polyethylene) pipelines on customer site to connect the pumping system. Ensure pumping system and pipeline meet operational requirements. Understand and react to how weather conditions effect HDPE fusion.
- Work independently or as part of a crew to install and dismantle pumping systems and pipelines on customer job sites.
- Review preliminary contracts to ensure all materials needed are identified and available. Update the sales staff should any materials change or the initial job set up changes.
- Initiate site introductions with customer and Outside Sales personnel. Establish customer expectations and clarify customer support.
- Establish communication with equipment operators.
- Prepare electronic work orders.
- Understand priming systems, options, remote systems and A-91 panels
- Apply proper measurements (center-to-center or face-to-face) to HDPE pipe. Calculate angles to ensure proper installation.
- Perform vacuum checks on installed pumping systems.
- Perform proper sequencing to break down pump systems and pipelines to avoid spills and/or contamination to surrounding work area. Properly flush systems.
- Safely utilize chain saws and other hand tools to properly cut and break down pipelines. Understand how and where to cut pipe to avoid spills, damage and excessive scrapping.
- Thoroughly inspect and evaluate condition of pipe, hose and fittings upon dismantling. Notify supervisor or site supervisor if any equipment is damaged.
- Prepare Bill of Ladings (BOLs) to load out equipment from job site. Coordinate with Xylem Service Center Manager to arrange proper timing of truck arrivals to ensure material handling equipment and/or personnel are available.
- High school or general equivalency degree
- One to two years experience in the construction industry preferred
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record; Class A preferred or willingness to upgrade Class B license
- Experience with flatbed trailers and proper load securement techniques (chaining, strapping, etc.)
- Prior experience operating heavy industrial equipment such as telehandlers, skid steers, air tuggers, etc.
- Prior experience fusing HDPE pipe ranging from 2 inch to 48 inch
- Ability to follow directions and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work flexible hours in order to respond to customer emergencies
- Ability to read, write legibly and communicate effective with co-workers, supervisors/managers and customers both verbally and in writing
- Ability to read blue prints or other layout and design documents
- Basic computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate diesel powered hydraulic lifting equipment, i.e., forklifts, front-end loaders, towmotors, telehandlers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate small and large diameter fusion machines
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to diagnose and repair simple mechanical issues
- Department of Transportation Medical card
- Fusion machine certification preferred
- Forklift certification preferred
DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Shop environment: intermittent exposure to all outdoor weather conditions; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes all within limits of OSHA standards
- Manufacturing environment: may be exposed to loud noises, changing temperatures, machinery with moving parts and various materials
- Extended hours as needed (weekends, overtime and on-call rotations)
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Full range of physical motions (standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, twisting, kneeling, climbing) associated with general labor work continually throughout 8 hours
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company ***Must be willing to travel out of town/state and overnight up to 50% of time***
The estimated salary range for this position is $23 - $26 plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed