Project AccountantFinance | Columbia, MD, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Project Accountant is responsible for providing a solid foundation of project analytics ensuring fiscal health of assigned projects as well as partnering with project managers to support successful decisions and outcomes.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Conducting a cost variance analysis to project budgets and other ad-hoc project analyses in support of the Project Managers and other users;
- Leading detailed project review meetings on a regular basis
- Proactively making recommendations and implementing agreed upon improvements to processes and reports
- Researching unbilled/unrecovered costs to optimize the billing possibilities for the future and making recommendations to management;
- Perform reconciliations of Project related balance sheet accounts.
- Conducting full-cycle project accounting for multiple projects of differing contract values and complexities
- Reviewing and communicating contracts and purchase orders
- Communicating with Project Managers contract conditions, change orders, billing schedules, and any additional services-related to billing
- Setting up fees, consultants, and cost breakdowns on new projects following Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Preparing draft/final invoices (including applicable supporting documentation) for all billable projects in accordance with project specific billing requirements (I thought we were trying to get them out of billing clerk duties)
- Reviewing the accuracy of labor and costs expensed to assigned projects and reallocate if required;
- Providing Work-In-Progress analysis (WIP) on a regular basis
- Assisting Project Managers in developing project budgets and performing actual to budget variance analysis
- Prepare monthly billing forecasts; Assist Project Managers with forecast expectations by reconciling current billing forecasts versus prior month accruals.
- Advising accounts payable on coding project related invoices
- Providing quarterly support of external auditor requirements, which may include research and reconciliation
- Performing month-end activities which include but are not limited to, revenue and cost recognition, accruals, and account reconciliation
- Assisting the delivery team to understand the net impact from month to month of any accrual adjustments and how they impact forecast
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Five + years of hands on detailed, project accounting experience preferably in an engineering services or technology industry.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in spreadsheets and project accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of standard contract terms and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Experience with revenue recognition policies related to contract and performance matters.
- Ability to work well with others and enjoy working in a collaborative environment.
- Responds well to changes in priorities without compromising quality of work.
- Polished written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong customer service orientation, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to process improvement and problem solving.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.