Mobile TechnicianOperations | Carrollton, TX, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The position of Mobile Technician is responsible for trouble-shooting, service, repair and maintenance of Xylem products in a safe and efficient manner in a Xylem Service Center, customer job site or via phone.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot diesel engines, hydraulic systems, electrical systems and pump end issues and repair/rebuild as necessary using computerized diagnostic tools.
- Perform routine inspections, preventative maintenance and service various products as directed. Diagnose and report any damage to the Manager.
- Create an accurate and legible parts and repair list, manually or digitally, for assigned product. Review list of parts with Manager and obtain approval to continue with servicing and repair.
- Test all repaired equipment for proper operation and quality.
- Perform preventative maintenance on Company vehicles and shop support equipment as directed (air dryer, chain saws, lifts, etc.).
- Assist customer and/or Xylem personnel with setting up pumping systems on customer job sites as needed. Assist in the performance of start-up duties and ensure any problems are resolved.
- Train new service or other shop personnel and customers, as needed, in service and/or other related standard work.
- Maintain a safe work environment by following EHS&S guidelines, policies and best practices.
- Participate in weekly on-call rotation schedule to assist customers after hours.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Individual Contributor
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High school diploma of equivalent required. Two-year technical training or equivalent preferred.
- Three to five years of experience and/or formal training or combination of education and training
- Three to five years of equipment maintenance experience in wastewater collection or treatment systems
- Two years electrical panel troubleshooting and maintenance experience
- Experience with Tier 4 diesel engine repairs and maintenance preferred
- Medium voltage experience a plus (~4160V)
- Ability to diagnose complex mechanical and electrical issues
- Working knowledge and experience with diesel engine repairs and emission control systems
- Thorough understanding of the methods, materials, tools and techniques used in equipment repair and maintenance
- Advanced knowledge of DC electric and circuit testing skills
- Advanced knowledge of AC electric motors, up to 500v systems
- Advanced knowledge of 3-phase and single phase systems and motors
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision; self-motivated and self-directed
- Working knowledge of iPad and/or Tablet for PDF viewing
- Ability to safely operate hand tools, power tools and lifting equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, co-workers and managers both verbally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate logical troubleshooting processes
- Ability to comfortably operate in virtual reality service scenarios
- Familiarity with engine diagnostic tools
- Familiarity with fluke meter and megger testing
- Basic understanding of pump station electrical controls and monitoring devices
- Knowledge of variable frequency drives (VFD) and/or soft start system
- Knowledge of SCADA controls and integration of MODBUS communication
- Perform on-site start-up service for specified Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Provide installation assistance for Xylem Water Solutions products to contractors, customers and OEM for designated Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Perform on-site repairs with the aid of the “Shop-On-Wheels” or other mobile service vehicles and equipment, as assigned.
- Troubleshoot units and components of various systems employing Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Provide technical and labor assistance in other areas of the service operation when not actively performing field service functions.
- Provide on-site technical advice and information on problem pump stations (pump and controls). May include troubleshooting and the use of product identification software; such as FLYPS or WebFlyps.
- Disseminate service information and provide informal/hands-on training at customer’s locations.
- Record, collect and report on service and technical repairs problems.
- Maintain service vehicle, tools and equipment provided for the execution and delivery of service products in an operational and clean condition.
- Commercial driver license preferred (Class A or Class B)
- DOT Medical card preferred
- Certified electrician preferred
- Must be able to read wiring schematics and have a basic understanding of pump station electrical controls and monitoring devices.
- Demonstrate logical troubleshooting processes.
- Requires a functional understanding of the theory and practical application of pumping systems and the ability to discuss and convey; theories, specifications and practices, with Operators, Contractors and Engineers.
- The ability to program PLCs, VFDs and other electronic components used in the motor controls industries. (preferred)
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Full range of physical motions (standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, twisting, kneeling, climbing) continually throughout 8 hours
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Shop environment: intermittent exposure to all outdoor weather conditions; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes all within limits of OSHA standards
- Manufacturing environment: may be exposed to loud noises, changing temperatures, machinery with moving parts and various materials
- Extended hours as needed (weekends, overtime and on-call rotations)
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company
- Travel: 50%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.