Senior Technical WriterEngineering | India, India
About the position
As an Information Developer at Xylem you will be a part of the global Technical Documentation Group.
You will develop technical information content and manage this in the Component Content Management System (CCMS) or Git repository. You will work closely with the technical documentation Project Coordinators (in Germany, Sweden, the US) and Subject matter Expert (SME) Engineers in Xylem R&D Centers of Excellence. Examples include instructions manuals for Installation and Operation, API Guides, and more, for customers of Xylem products and systems.
As you develop in your role there will be opportunity to move to additional challenges as a specialist in continuous improvement projects, as well as providing training to the business on processes and technology for content development.
About the global Technical Documentation Group
This is an R&D team of cross-border technical information experts, responsible for the development of customer product information and dedicated to providing customers with quality results through intelligent content reuse (using XML and/or Markdown languages).
The content strategy is to single source of Xylem's information content, make it available globally in reusable form, customer centric, and governed by common processes, tools, and controls for multiple publication outputs to multiple channels in multiple languages.
The information developed by this team is used in Installation and Operation Instructions, Service and Repair instructions, Technical Specifications, Spare Parts catalogues, Programming guides, Quick guides, Mounting instructions, product catalogs, API guides, and more.
The group consists of Content Delivery teams and a Documentation Systems team.
About the Xylem R&D team in Bangalore
This is an R&D content delivery team, responsible for developing and maintaining information content for the Xylem product portfolio including pumps, turbines, accessories, monitoring & control systems, water analysis equipment, customer facing APIs, and documentation for these products.
List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance.
- Develop content for reuse and usability in accordance with product risk analysis’s, Subject matter expertise, and according to content development guidelines; Authoring Guidelines, Authoring Procedures, Graphics Guidelines, Information Model, Style Guide
- Perform analysis of existing content, responsible for task analysis (TA) and annotated topic lists (ATL)
- Maintain metadata, create illustrations/graphics, subject topics and maps
- Quality assurance
- Perform software assisted quality review of style, grammar and terminology during content development phase
- Perform peer review on markup and content
- Organize SME review to ensure technical accuracy
- Organize Standards & Safety review
- Perform Final output review
- Set approval on the English source information
- Request translations
- Publish English original instructions
- Contribute the development of the CCMS folder structure and the Information Model
Part 2 Describe the Person
Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
BE, MSc, MCA, equivalent Technical Communications educational background, with professional experience with software documentation.
4-6 years with an international company with English as spoken and written language
Experience with standardizing terminology for use in technical documentation, user interface and its translation
Minimum 2 years’ experience with single sourcing of Technical Documentation in DITA XML.
Good knowledge of how to develop Technical illustrations in vector and pixel graphics formats.
Applicants may be asked to take a writing test to convey their content structuring abilities and technical English language skills.
Describe the most important competencies required of the individual. (the most important is first)
- Genuinely interested in written language and sees Technical English and Documentation as a present and future career choice
- Communicative, expert in verbal and written English language
Expert in Simplified Technical English (STE) and Microsoft (or Chicago) Manual of Style
- Experience working in Agile product development teams
- Experience with following a style guide
- Good understanding of SDLC, DDLC
- Thorough and structured way of working
- Understands single sourcing in technical documentation and conditional profiling of content
- Ability to deliver on made commitments
- Analytic ability; Chunking, grouping, classifying and labelling according to guidelines
- Excels in structuring text and understands the practice of metadata
- Good understanding of computer file formats such as XML, InDesign, Microsoft DocX, Markdown
- Experience in developing text content within XML vocabulary environments like DITA XML.
- Proficient in using these technologies (or their equivalents):
- Terminology and content checkers such as Acrolinx
- Component Content Management Systems (CCMS) such as Astoria On-Demand
- XML Editor, such as PTC Arbortext Editor or Oxygen XML Editor
- Content management with Bitbucket and Markdown markup language
- Basic understanding of connected systems, computer networks
- Experienced in Illustration tools and vector- and raster/photo illustration formats
- Understanding of the Technical Documentation and Localization processes
- Understanding of the publishing pipeline, content exchange and web publishing
- Experience with MS Sharepoint