Shop Floor SupervisorOperations | Cheektowaga, NY, United States
Xylem seeks to hire a Shop Floor Supervisor. This position is accountable for the supervision of hourly employees engaged in handling, storing, moving, welding, machining, assembly, painting, testing, repair of components, pressure vessels and parts. Responsible for time and attendance reporting, labor (standard hours) reporting, manpower, and department inventory requirements.
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Applied Water Systems seeks to hire a Shop Floor Supervisor. This position is accountable for the supervision of hourly employees engaged in handling, storing, moving, welding, machining, assembly, painting, testing, repair of components, pressure vessels and parts. Responsible for time and attendance reporting, labor (standard hours) reporting, manpower, and department inventory requirements.
- Supervises assigned employees in the daily performance of duties related to department workload.
- Works with and receives priority direction from Production Planner to ensure meeting of schedule product ship dates.
- Supervises and is responsible for employee training. Provides employees with adequate training to ensure quality and efficient production of product. Provides training to other supervisors as directed.
- Responsible for the quality of work and productivity of assigned departments. Daily reviews on time deliveries, productivity, (standard hours), schedules, order input, etc.
- Responsible for manpower and overtime requirements. Makes recommendations to the Manager of Manufacturing to provide successful operation and efficiency of assigned department(s).
- Reviews, informs and makes recommendations to the Manager of Manufacturing as to the status of assigned departments(s) as well as general manufacturing techniques and methods.
- Ensures daily housekeeping is maintained within assigned department and surrounding areas. Promotes the use of sound and effective safety practices in the performance of all functions.
- Orders and/or recommends procurement of tool supplies for use within department. Accountable for all departmental purchases.
- Responsible for ensuring all drawings, codes, procedures, programs, policies, etc. are adhered to.
- Attends organizational, safety, scheduling and other meetings as required. Provides input as to effect of any pending changes on productivity, product flow, etc.
- Issues discipline when warranted under the terms of the bargaining agreement or company rules and policies in a consistent manner.
- Operates data entry equipment within in a multi-level program environment. Operates PC based systems, including Microsoft Office or equivalent systems. Maintains a working knowledge of that equipment and systems.
- Works overtime as required/directed to support customer needs and company objectives.
- Reviews all documents for obvious discrepancies and brings to the attention of responsible department.
- Works with other Shop Floor Supervisors to optimize use of all available hourly employees.
- Works with/assists Quality Control in identifying and resolving quality related issues. Implement corrective action as required to eliminate recurrence of issue.
- Responsible for all equipment use and maintenance.
- Required: Bachelors Degree in a technical field and two years’ experience as a supervisor in a manufacturing environment –or- six years related supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a technical field with background in welding, machining, vacuum brazing or other highly technically advanced backgrounds.
- Implement Lean Initiatives as assigned.
- Nature: Interfaces and works with customers, marketing, accounting, manufacturing engineering, human resources, shop personnel, and QA as required to fulfill job requirements and company objectives
- Scope: Must exhibit good organizational skills and perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy. Researches and recommends training, seminars, etc. required to update and improve supervisory skills as well as remain informed of the latest manufacturing techniques. Understand and Implement lean Initiatives.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), Shop Manufacturing Environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Shop Environment: Concrete floors, standing majority of shift
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours