Full Stack Software Engineer (GIS)Engineering | Raleigh, NC, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Software Engineer with a desire to join their Geospatial Community of Practice Team (GCoP). A global leader in the water industry, Xylem has recently partnered with Esri, the renowned leader in geographic information systems (GIS), to pursue joint technical roadmapping, solution development, joint marketing and collaborative selling. Working closely with Esri, the GCoP is focused on aligning Xylem’s global business units on how they manage, analyze and deliver their spatially enabled data. Helping these teams maximize the potential of already available spatial data will let us deliver utility companies best-in-class solutions that will allow for better and more informed decisions on their part. This is a market poised for explosive growth and this team is ready to take advantage of it.
We’re looking for people who have experience working with spatial data, a passion for writing great code, developing servers, and working with digital technologies to help streamline decisions. You should enjoy working with bleeding-edge technology, not be afraid to take a different approach to solving technical problems, and be able to change directions quickly as the business environment moves. If this sounds interesting and you like working in a start-up environment, then we want to talk with you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Participate in the development process from definition to deployment.
- Participate in discovery sessions with existing software teams to help improve and standardize the utilization of geospatial data in both existing and new software solutions
- Participate in the development of reusable mapping components for Angular and React component libraries
- Participate in the creation of a centralized geospatial data repository including developing ETL and schema standardization
- Develop cutting-edge technologies to improve Xylem’s geospatial software offerings.
- Maintain and improve existing on-prem and cloud-based applications, reducing costs and streamlining efficiency.
- Engineer code that is efficient, standard and well documented.
- Take on challenging tasks as needed with an eagerness to develop skills in new areas.
- Bring to the job an excitement and work ethic on par for a startup technology firm.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS in Computer Science or related field.
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle/Agile practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including technical writing skills for documents such a user guides, metadata, data standards, data flow/component/architecture diagrams or training materials
- Understand how to write clean code and how to modularize large scale applications. Can architect web applications independently
- Able to participate in code reviews
- Comfortable with git code management practices
- Experience writing integrations that use third party APIs
- Knowledge of OOP and design patterns
- Experience with relational databases (MSSQL, PostgreSQL) and familiarity with noSQL databases (Cassandra, MongoDB, Hadoop (HBASE, Hive) or other).
- Proficiency in configuring application and database servers for ESRI software and ESRI licenses
- Proven ability to develop back end services in a large scale, high performance environment.
- Ability to develop geospatial specific scripts and models used for automation of geospatial processes
- Experience in deploying applications using CI/CD
- Experience working with cloud environments such as AWS EC2, EBS, S3, RDS and familiarity with containerization (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience troubleshooting distributed systems
- Experience with authentication/authorization systems including OIDC/SAML
- Scrum Master certification a plus
- Experience with Koop and/or GeoServer
- Experience with Esri’s ArcGIS Utility Network for Water and ArcHydro or past experience working with water utilities
- Web technology and configuration of IIS/Apache,nginx, etc. for GIS deployment
- An understanding of deployment topologies (i.e. ensuring secure, highly available systems)
- Running Esri GIS on Kubernetes (EKS) and embracing serverless architectures are long term goals
- IOT Experience
- Experience with a time series database (InfluxDB, pi)
- Experience with secure credential storage and management (RBAC)
- Experience with various programing languages such as Go and python
- Experience with EventStore concepts using technologies like Kafka
- Familiarity with tools such as Webpack/Gulp/NPM/Yarn
- Proficiency with TypeScript
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, cloud-based deployments
- Experience with Elasticsearch
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Further, if the Company determines this role may be performed in or from Colorado, the minimum salary for this position is $100,219. Final compensation will be dependent on various factors such as location, qualifications, certifications, relevant work experience and other factors, consistent with applicable law. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.