Senior Mechanical/Manufacturing EngineerEngineering | Auburn, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Sr Manufacturing Engineer to lead, participate in, cross-functional projects to address and resolve product and manufacturing issues with regard to the sustainment of and continuous improvement of products, processes and methods to improve safety, quality and delivery, while reducing operational costs for the business.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide the production facility with the support resources to maintain, document and improve existing processes, programs, tooling and standards to satisfy production requirements.
- Lead and participate in safety/ergonomics teams, projects and initiatives with goal of identifying and eliminating safety/ergonomics risks and hazards.
- Leading, through pre-planning, supervising, coordinating the development and implementation of capital projects, including the ownership of on-time spending and thorough reporting to the site Capital Manager.
- Create or revise production standard work instructions (SWI), Standard Work and other relevant manufacturing documentation (i.e. Checksheets, Tool Glossary, pFMEA, etc.) to improve quality, increase uptime (OEE) and improve on time delivery.
- Sustain and/or improve production processes, primarily with Lean manufacturing techniques, but occasionally through use of Six Sigma methodologies, as a means to improve safety/ergonomics, increase process uptime (OEE), eliminate waste and deliver products to customer's expectations.
- Observe, evaluate and troubleshoot production downtime incidents for root cause and identify and implement corrective actions (Just-do-its or projects), utilizing formal problem solving tools such as A3 or 8D analysis, PFMEA's, Control Plans, etc., to resolve or eliminate all root cause(s).
- Select, procure, and implement new production equipment, including new assembly cells and complete production lines, whether it be for purposes of replacement or technological/process enhancement, through leading and following the New Equipment Release process.
- Design fixtures and tools, using 3D CAD, for the safe and efficient manufacture, in-process inspection, and testing of custom-engineered (low volume) or high-volume products.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow (routings), space requirements, and preparing and maintaining production area/floor layouts.
- Write and/or revise CNC equipment programs, select tooling, and select or design work holding for CNC machines, including horizontal lathes, vertical turning centers, vertical mills, and swiss lathes.
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting experiments; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from production Operators.
- Perform lease vs. buy, or make vs buy, investigations and value analysis studies for cost reduction or cost prevention. Coordinate investigation with the Controller’s Department and the Legal Department.
- May facilitate continuous improvement Kaizens or action items from Kaizens throughout the facility. Utilize Lean tool expertise (5S, Standard Work, SMED, etc.) to drive continuous improvement.
- Coordinate input and formulate manufacturing methods for new products or changes in processing of existing products. Including the selection, procurement, and implementation of hand tools, power tools, fixtures or work holding, material handling solutions, gaging or inspection devices, packaging solutions, production equipment, etc.
- May be responsible to supervise other full-time, part-time, permanent or temporary Engineers, Technicians, Interns, Machinists, Tool & Die Makers, other Skilled Trades or similar job positions, including managing workload, prioritization and performance evaluations.
- May, at times, provide assistance to Human Resources Department in handling protest, grievances and arbitration in area of responsibility.
- Any other relevant duties as assigned to help support the Manufacturing Engineering department, Maintenance Department, Product Engineering Department, and the production facility to achieve the organizational goals and objectives.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelors degree in following curriculums:
- Mechanical Engineering (BSME),
- Mechanical Engineering Technology (BSMET),
- BS Manufacturing Engineering,
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering (EMET)
- 8-10+ Years in designated Engineering field
- Proven experience in Lean manufacturing concepts and Six Sigma methods
- Ability to apply formal problem-solving methodologies
- Ability to design in 3D CAD and apply GD&T methods
- Proven abilities in Project Management
- Applied knowledge of material properties
- Experience in assembly, forming, machining, stamping, electrostatic coating and testing processes in a manufacturing environment
- Design for Manufacturability or Design for Assembly training
- PTC Windchill (Product Life Cycle management)
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PPT and Project
- Autodesk Inventor
- CNC programming
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Sitting, standing, walking
- Lifting no more than 35lbs
- Office environment
- Typical manufacturing environment
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. (Will be listed on all positions in the United States)