Mechanical Engineering ManagerEngineering | Mississauga, Canada, Canada
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Be a part of a team focusing on disruptive solutions to solve our clients' problems! We need a Mechanical Engineering Manager who has a fresh and innovative mindset and wants to help shape a business through strategic product roadmap engagement and execution via a keen team of mechanical engineers. This team is accountable for the design, development, testing, modifications and future technical solutions of services that will meet and exceed our customers’ needs for pipeline condition assessment.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide input to strategic decisions that affect product development, field applications, and sustaining engineering
- Foster an innovation mindset through the promotion of forward thinking and collaboration across functions
- Consult with Global Product Managers on technology roadmap creation and implementation
- Create department budgets for annual operating plan
- Drive urgency and creativity to be industry leaders through design
- Actively lead engineering resource management for on time delivery of projects
- Assess skills and capabilities of the engineers to define gaps - plan and implement professional development of engineers through stretch activities, mentorship, and training (aka goal setting and task assignments)
- Map technical knowledge of the organization and facilitate knowledge transfer
- Lead change through cross functional/regional initiatives; embrace continuous improvement and development mindset
- Ensure all projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with the established policies and objectives
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Mechanical highly preferred
- 5+ years’ experience leading and mentoring a team
- Professional engineering certification in Ontario, Canada
- Product development experience using both waterfall and agile development processes
- Proven ability to translate customer/business needs into actionable projects
- Demonstrated ability to navigate cross functional projects for self and team, inclusive of managing conflict as it arises
- Highly influential; able to articulate pros/cons of proposals/ideas that garner discussion and support
- Proactively manages team by fostering culture of transparency; people are encouraged to give, receive, and act upon constructive feedback
- Prior experience shaping/influencing technology roadmaps, preferred
- Promotes safe work mindset by ensuring environmental, health and safety principles are part of every design; furthermore, ensures team adheres to safe work practices at all times
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.