Sr. Firmware EngineerEngineering | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: We are looking for a Sr. Firmware Developer who is responsible for the development and ongoing engineering support of the Sensus portfolio of meter products and systems. This position provides designs that meet utility and industry requirements as well as internal requirements for cost effectiveness, accuracy, functionality, performance, and reliability while maintaining a strong customer focus. This requires someone who excels with very complex, hands-on, low-level projects while maintaining the ‘big picture’ perspective.
This position is on-site and will be located in Morrisville, NC (Research Triangle Park).
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and test firmware for high volume, battery operated RF Automatic Meter Infrastructure (AMI) and metering products.
- Develop and integrate solid state metrology and/or sensors used within metering products.
- Collaborate with hardware, mechanical and product engineers to ensure high quality, factory-ready products that adhere to schedule, cost and performance requirements.
- Collaborate with other development and test teams (e.g. handheld tools, headend systems, analytics) to ensure products work flawlessly within Sensus solutions and with 3rd party offerings.
- Assist with design calculations, analog and digital circuit design and PCB schematics/layouts.
- Assist quality assurance and marketing teams in investigating and analyzing defective product returned from customers
- Develop PC-based tools and applications for demonstration and analysis of metrology and product performance data.
- Develop documentation required for collaboration, sustainability and internal processes.
- Interface with third-party companies to enable integration of their technologies with the Sensus portfolio of products.
- Some international and domestic travel may be required.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- At least 5 years of embedded OS and/or embedded systems development experience with 2 years of experience with utility metering products or other high volume products.
- Experience writing assembly language and C code for micro-controllers in resource-limited situations (ROM/RAM/MIPS).
- Experience tuning software for power consumption and memory for optimal performance.
- Experience in writing system specifications (SPEC), product requirements documents (PRD) and prototype test plans (TP)
- Aptitude and initiative for continuous ‘grass-roots’ improvement of FW development processes and architecture.
- In-depth understanding of fixed point arithmetic issues and implementation techniques.
- Experience writing PC-based programs and scripts for testing and data analysis.
- Excellent testing and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards, as well as providing team technical guidance.
- Experience using common test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and spectrum analyzers.
- Experience developing and debugging software on MSP430 or ARM Cortex-M3 architectures is desired.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds on a regular basis
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office or lab setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.