Sr. Electrical EngineerEngineering | Auburn, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Senior Electrical Engineer – Controls to join our Manufacturing Engineering team. This role will be responsible for applying electrical, electronic and mechanical principles to components and systems in order to create and assess electrical designs, including computer modeling of electrical current movement or efficient transmission of electrical energy, assembly, analysis, and documentation of results; construction of electrical assemblies, sub-assemblies and components; and quality testing. Supports and participates in the design, test, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype electrical or electromechanical systems.
Essential Duties / Principal Responsibilities:
- The Senior Electrical Engineer will lead, and participate in, cross-functional projects to address and resolve manufacturing issues, with regards to the sustainment of and continuous improvement of processes and methods to improve safety, quality and delivery, while reducing facility operational costs.
- Responsible for applying electrical, electronic and mechanical principles to components and systems in order to create and assess electrical designs.
- Utilizes and develops technical solutions to complex problems to complete assignments.
- Completes large scale projects requiring advanced technical expertise to achieve organization objectives.
- Represents the organization as the technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with external personnel on technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Support daily production, including working closely with Maintenance personnel in troubleshooting/fixing issues on production equipment, in an expeditious manner in order to minimize disruptions to daily production equipment, processes, including in-line pump performance test stations.
- Support or lead the troubleshooting of various software and hardware issues.
- Design and lead implementation of new equipment, machinery and process related safety improvements, including examples like light curtains, two-hand tie-downs, emergency stops, alarms, etc.
- Create electrical designs, using CAD, for new equipment for the purposes of daily production use, along with creating a BOM for these designs.
- Upgrade existing equipment electrical designs, through modifying CAD drawings and BOMs as needed, for safety, ergonomic or productivity improvements.
- Create or revise PLC ladder logic on existing and new machinery and equipment used in the production setting.
- Create or revise Visual Basic code (programs) on existing and new testing and data collection equipment.
- Be responsible for the addition or pump models, specifications and changes required in the pump performance data collection Visual Basic code, when a New Part Number Load reaches the Manufacturing Engineering’s department.
- Maintain the sub-network consisting or data collection PC’s and a Sequel Server, in conjunction with support from the IT Department.
- Perform revisions, changes and any enhancements within the Sequel Server and Visual Basic code, used for acquiring, storing and reporting out on the pump performance test results.
- Perform Certified Performance tests using customer requirements on production products (i.e. pumps) using the production in-line pump performance testers.
- Maintain and update the Bar Tender software and programs for the automated labeling system, which interfaces with the ERP system to gather required label field data.
- Facilitate, or be a team member of, continuous improvement Kaizens or action items from past Kaizens
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s in following or similar curriculums:
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Electrical Mechanical Engineering Technology
- 5+ Years in designated Engineering or related field.
- Ability to read, understand and utilize electrical standards, ie NEC, NFPA 79, etc
- Ability to read and understand electrical control schematics.
- Familiarity with VFD's
- Familiarity with Industrial Communications protocols: RS485 (Modbus), Ethernet I/P, 4-20mA HART Loops, RS232 Serial
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- SQL Server
- MS Office Applications, including Word, Excel, PPT, Access, Project
- PLC/PAC Controllers
- Automation Direct
- HMI design
- AutoCAD Electrical
- VBA/Macro creation/modification
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.