Field Technician - USOperations | Houston, TX, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Field Technician. The Field Technician will provide support to the XLI inspection team by assisting with multiple above ground pipeline inspections. The Field Technician will be responsible for locating pipelines and documenting pipeline positions using electro-magnetic locators and GPS equipment.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Assist with measuring the AC Voltage Gradient (ACVG and DCVG) while walking above the buried pipeline.
- Assist and/or perform various over the line surveys (DOC, CIPS)
- Assist with all aspects of data collection and reporting in accordance with established procedure.
- Effectively communicate with landowners and clients presenting a positive company image at all times.
- Maintain corporate, client, and government operating and safety procedures
- Maintain all assigned equipment in good working order according to established procedures. Keep equipment charged as appropriate.
- Effectively communicate inspection concerns to the Lead Hand or Project Manager in a timely manner.
- Follow all Health and Safety requirements, attend meetings, complete forms, etc.
- Provide support to other XLI inspection teams as required.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
(Minimal education & experience, essential skills & abilities and required license/certification to perform this job.)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Technical school degree in Petroleum Engineering or Environmental Services an asset
- NACE certification an asset
- Experience in corrosion control, protective coatings and cathodic protection monitoring an asset
- Surveying and/or GPS experience an asset
- Exhibits technical/mechanical aptitude
- ATV, snowmobile, argo, etc. experience an asset
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and take initiative
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to be well organized and punctual
- Must have a valid Class 5 Driver’s License with clean driver’s abstract
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and PC Skills
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Must be willing and physically capable to spend long days on foot over rugged, remote terrain in inclement weather
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Must be available to work away from home on shift schedules up to 12 hours per day up to 3 weeks at a time
- Travel: 75%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.