Backend Software Engineer (Remote)Engineering | San Francisco, CA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem is looking for software engineers excited to pioneer technologies in the fields of environmental sustainability and data-driven intelligent solutions. The role will involve working with a diverse team of data scientists, environmental engineers, and other software engineers in order to provide water utilities cutting-edge technologies to help streamline decisions. We’d love to hear from you if this interests you!
- Pioneer software advancements in environmental sustainability
- Tackle challenging tasks as needed, with an eagerness to develop new skills
- Build Python data structures to support machine learning efforts
- Write and maintain complex SQL algorithms
- Optimize data processing pipelines
- Visualize data to help inform data-driven decisions
- Engineer standardized, efficient, and well-tested code
- Refactor code as needed to eliminate technical debt
- Maintain high software security standards
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Bachelors or greater in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of experience in back-end development within a team environment
- Fluency in Python, Ruby, and SQL
- Experience working with relational databases and large data sets
- Strong knowledge of software design and best practices
- Proven ability to practice test-driven development
- Familiarity with AWS and cloud computing
- Experience with Docker
- Understanding of Agile software development methodologies
What's In It for You
- An opportunity to join a very smart, motivated team, directly impacting a market with explosive growth potential, and help save the environment
- Strong base salary depending on experience
- Excellent benefits and vacation policy
- Tons of growth potential and a great working environment
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.