Senior Network EngineerInformation Technology | Charlotte, NC, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Sr. Network Engineer (Engineering) role is to architect, plan, implement, troubleshoot and issue resolution of existing and future network infrastructures to deliver best-in-class network performance. The infrastructure includes network LAN/WAN (switches, routers), WLAN and VoIP. The successful candidate must be problem solver, self-starter, work with limited supervision, a team player and able to clearly communicate with other team members, management and user community and effectively work with external vendors and technology partners.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Analyze business requirements to develop technical network solutions and their framework.
- Provide design, engineering and architectural support to manage the network infrastructure including technical requirements, analysis, design and implementation of WAN, LAN, WLAN, SD-WAN, SDN and VoIP.
- Proactively identify areas of improvement in our designs, implementations, and processes to avoid production downtime and drive a culture of Operational Excellence.
- Provide level 3 network support including system monitoring and troubleshooting to resolve issues.
- Engineer, document and implement LAN, WAN and WLAN solutions.
- Mentor junior team members develop departmental procedures and best practices standards.
- Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions.
- Develops and achieves discipline strategy in alignment with functional goals and key business objectives.
- Collaborates with experts within function to integrate technical objectives into activities associated with accelerated development of new/improved technology.
- Advances technical expertise within function. Proactively demonstrates leadership by advising and sharing knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers, and senior management. Mentors and trains functional colleagues and assess current and emerging business challenges enabling functional goal achievement.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of major project plans within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Applies imagination and innovation by creating, inventing, and implementing new or better approaches, alternatives and breakthrough ideas that are valued by customers within the function.
- Sources and identifies emerging technological trends from multiple internal and external sources and assess relevance. Integrates trends into functional short-term objectives. Advances cross‐discipline technology and direction through generation of data.
- Write technical design and build documentations for all aspects of a technical infrastructure.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- 7 or more years of relevant experience architecting, designing, installing and maintaining network systems.
- functional experience in Network architect role or equivalent.
- CCNP certification or equivalent is a plus.
- Intermediate experience with multivendor global enterprise environment.
- Intermediate experience in architecting large/medium scale global networks and documentation.
- Intermediate experience in SDN and SD-WAN.
- Intermediate experience with Cisco switching and routing platforms such as Cisco Nexus, Cisco Catalyst, Cisco ISR and ASR.
- Intermediate experience and understanding of OSI or TCP/IP model.
- Intermediate experience and understanding of dynamic routing (BGP, EIGRP and OSPF).
- Intermediate experience and understanding in technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, HSRP/VRRP, NAT/PAT, SNMP, MPLS, VoIP, SIP, VPLS, QoS, T1, DS3, Ethernet, Firewalls, SDN , SDA and Cisco DNA.
- Technical abilities and working experience of Cisco network infrastructure.
- Intermediate experience in wireless protocols (802.11) and Cisco Wireless Controllers.
- Preferred experience in network load balancers such as Citrix NetScaler.
- Intermediate experience in Network security, Cisco ASA and Palo Alto firewall platforms.
- Project management skills, ability to manage time and complex tasks, and working knowledge of SLAs and Metrix.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectivity with a wide range of constituencies to communicate technical information and non-technical personnel.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work is generally conducted in an office environment.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate office equipment.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Will require travel to project sites.
- Work may require lifting less than 30 lbs.
- Employee use of personal protective equipment (PPE) may be required in certain situations.
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop: In locations with a factory or shop floor, exposure to factory/shop and machinery.
- Travel requirement: 5%-10%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.