Hydroinformatics EngineerEngineering | San Francisco, CA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: A Hydroinformatics Engineer is a multidisciplinary engineer with optimization and hydraulic modeling skills and a passion for using data to improve urban watershed environmental and societal impact. This position is focused on the development and implementation of algorithms and analytics for operational optimization of wastewater collection systems, drinking water distribution and transmission systems, and treatment systems, as well as the interactions between these systems through the use of real time data, hydraulic modelling, machine learning and advanced control systems. This position will be primarily focused on optimizing wastewater networks and treatment systems.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Solve complicated, open-ended water resources problems by applying optimization techniques and innovative data analytics over sensor data and hydraulic models.
- Facilitate integration of digital solutions across water sectors, including, but not limited to, coupled analysis, problem solving, and decision making across stormwater, wastewater and treatment systems.
- Communicate and collaborate with teams of water resource engineers and decision makers to define problems, strategize solution approaches, and bring solutions to implementation.
- Develop and manage large datasets. Communicate summaries and conclusions drawn from data in clear and concise ways, visually and verbally.
- Translate data analytics into language understood by water resource engineers and data analysts, both in the practitioner and research space.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Bachelor’s Degree (in Civil Engineering and/or Environmental Engineering), preference given to those with Master’s or PhD degrees.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Hydraulic modelling with software from Innovyze, US-EPA, OpenWaterAnalytics (specifically PySWMM), or DHI.
- Experience on implementation of Real-Time Decision Support Systems for wastewater/water utilities.
- Experience connecting to and testing rainfall forecasting tools including NOAA, Accuweather, or Climacell to support forecasting decision support systems.
- Experience developing hydrologic 2-D surface meshing models to be used in surface flooding analyses
- Previous experience programming in software languages such as Python, R, C, MATLAB, etc.
- 2-5 years of inter-disciplinary research or project work with multiple different engineering or science disciplines.
- Previous experience developing advanced geospatial information system (GIS) data analysis, using tools such as Python-GeoPandas, ESRI’s Arc GIS and ArcPy, or QGIS’s programming interface.
- Fluent in English.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and eager to develop new skills
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams
- Good communication skills
- A focus on delivering great results quickly
- Experience with designing for demanding outdoor environments
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Further, if the Company determines this role may be performed in or from Colorado, the salary range is $90,000 to $122,000 plus bonus. Final compensation will be dependent on various factors such as location, qualifications, certifications, relevant work experience and other factors, consistent with applicable law. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.