Product EngineerEngineering | Morton Grove, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The position is accountable to the Monitoring & Controls Engineering Manager. The position provides product development and support role in firmware and application software development project, support the design of latest Variable Speed Pumping Technology Control System and data driven IoT solutions for Xylem markets across globally. Connect effectively with appropriate functional disciplines.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Leading in designing and testing for monitoring and control products,
- providing engineering validation and production test specification, in supporting Monitoring and Control product,
- Smart Pumping System and IoT solution development project from concept, prototype build through product development, testing and validation, manufacturing readiness to release.
- Will document, perform test, and troubleshooting the system product by utilize software and hardware tools
- Will work effectively and cooperatively with Xylem customers both internal and external to provide innovative solution in the new product design and meet requirements defined by the customer and Product Management.
- Leading designing and testing in cross functional development teams- Effectively communicates the Xylem vision and translates it into actions that advances the vision within one’s own organization, and establishes the appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and energizing others, and aligning goals and resources.
- Promotes individual & team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results. Ensures work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and level, and enables teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making.
- Selects and promotes the appropriate skills and capabilities aligned to the organizational mission to assemble high performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged
- Conduct engineering designing and testing analysis and diagnostic activities at both the hardware and software level in support of product development activities both local and remote sites or engineering partner.
- Provide product engineering support in the resolution of product issues identified in the field. Recommend and develop recommended solutions to product issues
- Travel to customer sites and evaluate reported issues with Xylem products methods.
- Analyze project development requirements per the Xylem XPD (Xylem Product Development) process and support project manager in testing of integrated product definitions per the process
- Translate raw Voice of Customer (VoC) information and commercial product specifications into testing to meet design requirements and interface with ITC embedded solution design team, software COE team or Engineering partner team to complete larger scale software design modules
- Collaborate with customers, installers, consultants, and all members of the Xylem distribution channel to efficiently resolve field issues including initial installation, field performance monitoring, and post installation equipment failures
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 5+Years of IoT software and hardware, application designing and testing experience with strong control system emphasis
- Use of recognized best practices to develop product testing and validation methodologies and processes
- Prototype build and test, first manufactured parts validation and support through to product release
- Experience with working on Agile development methodology
- Bachelor Degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or equivalent curricula.
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English both written and spoken.
- Experience with systems designing and testing and programming languages (ex. C, C++, IEC 6-1131-3, Assembler)
- Experience with utilizing PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
- Experience with signal processing, communication protocols and switching power supplies design are required (Modbus, BACnet, DeviceNet, TCP/IP and wireless e.g. IEEE 802.1, Zigbee etc.)
- Experience in design and troubleshooting Analog, Digital, embedded processor designs is required
- Knowledge of automated electrical/electronic design tools (PWB layout, routers etc.)
- Familiar using leading platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, and MicrosoftAzure, as well as industry-standard protocols such as MQTT, HTTP/HTTPS, REST, and AMQP.
- Knowledge of LabVIEW language (or any other software programming language) and experience with electronic simulation software would constitute a plus
- Experience in motor control software and VFD development would be preferable
- Familiar with UL, CSA, FM, FCC standards and regulatory requirements
- Previous experience in electromechanical industry would be preferred
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Demands are typical of office work and in the lab.
- Position will require some travel to customer sites primarily within the USA and Canada.
- Travel: 25%
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.