CNC Machinist- 2nd ShiftOperations | Cheektowaga, NY, United States
We’re Hiring for a CNC Machinist!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The CNC Machinist will be responsible for set-up and operating CNC Machining centers.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of current practices, methods, techniques, principles of operation of various types of equipment, machines, tools, fixtures and instruments.
- Receives instructions, and performs all required machining operations interpreting drawings, routings, specifications and other issued documentation as necessary to machine components and units to ensure compliance to all indicated tolerances. Instructions may also be provided through checklists, drawings, routings, and procedures.
- Determines, obtains and properly utilizes fixtures, jigs, tooling, clamps, blocks, parallels and other items necessary to perform undocumented set-ups. Follows documented set up instructions to locate and secure workpiece for machining.
- Loads, sets-up, and operates machine tools to produce work to specified finishes and tolerances, utilizing knowledge of proper set-up techniques speeds and feeds.
- Determines applicable CNC program for part being machined. Enters program into CNC control. Sets tool and or work offsets. Performs various calculations to determine locations, speed, feed, and other data requiring the use of formulas derived from handbooks, tooling charts, etc
- When not specified, adjusts machine feeds and speeds to achieve most efficient machining.
- Program parts utilizing canned program cycles, conversational programming routines and manual programs.
- Confirms all material used is correct (quality, quantity, type, size) prior to the start work.
- Each person is responsible for verifying the quality of work through inspection and checking to insure that all their work meet specifications.
- Performs layouts as required to ensure proper machining.
- Transfers/records heat numbers to machined components and or documentation to ensure material traceability is maintained.
- Obtain materials, fixtures, cutting and hand tools necessary to perform assigned duties. Rig and operate forklift truck, handcart, etc. to handle, move, and position materials, tooling, tools and/or fixtures within or between departments.
- Notify supervisor of shortages in work-center supplies.
- Notify supervisor immediately of any machine malfunction, quality problem, raw material problem, or problem with completed work or work in process.
- Utilize electronic data system obtain required information and perform required transaction. Overtime and all work assignments will be at the discretion of the supervisor
- Assists and/or trains new employees in job classification. Trains other Ml or M2 as directed.
- Maintain good housekeeping and safe environment throughout work area(s), sweep area(s), wipe down, clears debris, arrange product, etc. on a daily basis to assure housekeeping is maintained.
- Perform scheduled and assigned preventative maintenance tasks, including but not limited to, checking and refilling lubrication levels, cleaning machine tools. work surfaces, etc.
- Perform 5s activities.
- Observe all safety and shop rules and notify supervisor of any unsafe conditions.
- Verify all gauges and measuring tools are within proper calibration dates prior to using. Deliver and retrieve gages and measuring tools from calibration collection points.
- Sign off on paperwork (routers, checklists, or other documents) or through computer entry procedure or as directed to indicate operator has inspected work and it conforms to the applicable fabrication requirements (drawings, specs, codes, etc.) and to maintain status of fabrication.
- Wears, cleans and properly maintains all required personal protective equipment (PPE). Participates in personal air and noise sampling when directed.
- Perform daily safety checks on power vehicles and record findings on checkoff sheets.
- Enrichment within this classification is a mandatory requirement. The enrichment process °"rill be at the discretion of management, governed by seniority and the needs of the business.
- Overtime and all work assignments will be at the discretion of the supervisor
- All new equipment procured by the company will be added to this classification based on its applicability as determined by the company. New machines acquired by the company will be assigned to the appropriate classification upon release to manufacturing.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Successful completion of a Vocational ffechnical Training program which includes the operation of CNC equipment, measuring tool training and tooling applications. (An additional 2 years of CNC machine tool experience may be substituted for this at the discretion of the machine shop Manager)
- High School Degree or completion of equivalency program.
- Three (3) years experience in diversified machining operations which focus on CNC machine tool operation and programming. This experience must have occurred within the 5 years prior to bidding on or applying for this position.
- Knowledge of machining technology, mechanical principles, shop mathematics, job layout, precision measuring procedures, machine set ups, operating methods and machining characteristics.
- Requires passing a written Ml classification test with a score equal to 85 percent or above.
DAY IN THE LIFE:
In this role, the working environment is a typical manufacturing environment, and the physical demands may include but not limited to regularly sitting, standing, reaching, bending, and lifting up to 35lbs.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.