Field Service Engineer, TreatmentEngineering | Charlotte, NC, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Field Service Engineer will establish and maintain an exceptional brand relationship with our customers by acting as a trusted advisor and resource during all on site and remote support activities. Must be passionate about providing legendary customer service. Maintains compliance with all established Environmental, Safety & Health policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be the lead contributing member of an assigned project execution team to execute complex system refurbishments and controls upgrade projects. Leadership includes partnering with Territory Managers and Inside Sales roles for equipment assessment, discovery of customer goals, recommendations, hardware/software specification, quote development support, execution planning, and management of site startup and commissioning.
- Provide post-commissioning and aftermarket technical support to customers via phone calls and in person when required.
- Configure and develop all necessary engineering documents required for internal design and customer proposals.
- Collaborate with Xylem Growth Center design teams to execute assigned projects and support sales opportunities.
- Perform programming and troubleshooting of system and component level PLC and Operator Interface Screens.
- Personally and through other company resources, develop technical depth in Xylem products and their applications.
Service skills and repair situation management
- Provide support to field start-up technicians on assigned projects and provide hands-on site support for complex system startups when required.
- Responsible to complete all tasks from installation, startup, functional & performance testing, training, project closeout, warranty transition, service, and aftermarket contracts. Capability of handling PLC software modification
- Responsible to identify service requirements and manage site resources to complete the activities on time. On site management of other suppliers or Xylem resources as needed.
- Conducts TotalCare equipment condition audits to establish service opportunities and potential actions to lessen Customer equipment downtime as needed.
- Works with Customer’s representatives to understand equipment issues, troubleshoot and diagnose root-cause problems, and arranges necessary parts and service to resolve issues. Timeliness, commitment to customer, and a driving sense of urgency is a requirement
- Collaborate and manage customer communications (requests, complaints, observations, etc.) with the appropriate Xylem internal teams to bring timely resolution to Customer issues.
- Review specifications, design and scope of supply of the assigned projects in order to have a clear and detailed understanding of the requirements to help streamline onsite service completion.
Customer Management and Communication Skills
- Actively explore and identify unmet customer needs and provide opportunity for innovative solutions. Identification and follow through for potential parts and service opportunities with customers
- Is able to work with different levels of the customer organization, to understand what information needs are required by each level, and deliver same in a timely and complete manner
- Works with Customers to identify and propose PMA contracts.
- Identification of opportunities to expand Xylem’s footprint in customer’s facilities across sister brands and competitor installations. Communicate this with both the Customer and other Xylem groups
- Responsible to prepare, organize & perform on site training related to the equipment operation, safety, and preventative maintenance.
Reporting and documentation
- Responsible for timely completion and submittal of all activity reports (weekly) and other associated documentation.
- Responsible to identify modifications to existing product/project documentation and communicate to Customer and Xylem project team for review & approval.
- Reviews budgeted hours and confirms service labor forecast based on service activity specifics/requirements. Monitor and manage site hours to remain within budget
- Responsible to ensure all equipment on site work per safety and quality requirements and per company and project specifications.
- Follow and comply with all Environmental Safety & Health (ESH) policies.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE -Minimum Requirements
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience with Ultraviolet Disinfection (UV) and Ozone oxidation process equipment in the municipal or industrial, water or wastewater fields.
- Ability to read and understand Process and Instrumentation Drawings (P & ID diagrams), Examples: hydraulic profile diagrams, gas and liquid piping or open channel, gas diffusion in liquid (porous diffusers, side stream gas injector), mechanical level control (weir), pump, valves, support and skids, etc
- Training and repair service experience in instrumentation (flow meters, level transmitters, temperature transmitters, pressure transmitters, Dew-point analyzer, etc.).
- Experience with electrical equipment for low & medium voltage power distribution panel, conduit and cable trays, grounding and three phase network configuration, harmonics and distortion, IEEE & NEC
- Experience in controls & networks for PLC and HMI for online debugging, network troubleshooting, SCADA interface, I/O hardware and software configuration and testing, cross referencing search and code debugging.
- General knowledge on UL and CSA.
- Requires excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- 50-75% travel required within the US and Canada. Must be able to acquire and maintain a US or Canadian driver’s license and passport.
Specialized Knowledge Required – Including any required certificates, licenses, and registrations
- Strong internal & external customer focus and interaction to ensure optimum relationships.
- Green Belt Certification Preferred (or willingness to acquire)
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate office equipment.
- Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 70 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop/Field: May work around pipes, vales, electrical equipment and operating machinery such as commonly found around manufacturing facilities, construction sites, water and wastewater treatment plants.
- Travel: Travel (50-75%) is required to fulfill the duties listed above.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.