Intern - Legal - Summer 2021Legal | Rye Brook, NY, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem’s in-house legal department is looking for a full-time intern for a summer 2021 position. As a summer intern in the legal department, you will work directly with senior lawyers in the department with opportunity to interact with the General Counsel. You will have the opportunity to conduct research projects, draft memoranda, corporate resolutions and correspondence, benchmark various processes and procedures for company compliance, build and maintain relationships with outside counsel, partners, and third-party vendors and to otherwise assist the attorneys with their duties. Our goal is for you to come away with a strong sense of what the legal practice involves in the corporate environment.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
The Legal Department’s practice areas include:
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Litigation & Contracts
- Commercial Legal Support
- Ethics/Trade Compliance/ESH/Security
- Labor & Employment
- Corporate Governance
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 1L or 2L at top tier law school
- Top 25% of class (required)
- Full-time availability in Summer 2021
- Someone who can be counted on to see tasks through to completion.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and proactive. You don’t hide from problems or let them
- Act with integrity. You’re honest and truthful in word and action.
- Constantly on the hunt for learning opportunities, and never feel as though you’ve learned everything there is to know about something.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.