Systems EngineerEngineering | Basingstoke, UK, United Kingdom
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Colour and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Systems Engineer is a key part of the Service Operations team, providing 3rd line technical support for our FlexNet Smart Metering solution. They are responsible for supporting our partner, Arqiva, in the provision of a large-scale, smart metering radio communications solution on behalf of UK water utilities. In addition, they are responsible for providing support for Sensus products, including water meters, with several customers in the EMEA region.
The Service Operations team works with processes that follow ITIL framework methodology to deliver high quality service to our customers and partners. The Systems Engineer will need to be comfortable with working within service driven processes to strict SLAs and demonstrate that they can prioritise their work accordingly.
This role works closely with the Customer Support team in the UK and also with the 4th line support team, firmware and software R&D teams based in the US and Germany.
- Technical support and consultancy for the Sensus smart metering infrastructure components
- Work closely with the Service Desk to understand ticket severity and prioritise accordingly
- Troubleshoot incidents and provide resolution guidance where possible
- Adhere to agreed SLAs and OLAs for remote diagnostics, customer updates, ticket escalation and resolution
- Escalate to 4th line as required, providing details of initial analysis and diagnostics already undertaken
- Raise defect records for the development team with all supporting information and step-by-step instructions to recreate the fault
- Perform root cause analysis of problems and document findings in technical reports to be provided to our network partner and Sensus Management Team
- Provide feedback into continual improvement of Service Operations practices and processes
- Maintain Engineering knowledge base articles and actively participate in knowledge sharing within the Service Operations team
- 4+ years’ experience of technical application support
- Demonstrable high integrity and ethical standards
- Excellent knowledge of supporting applications on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform
- Ability to fault find and diagnose diverse interconnected enterprise applications
- Personal drive and ability to pick-up and use new skills quickly
- Application support of Java applications
- Knowledge of Enterprise Message Brokers, specifically Apache-MQ
- Experience of build automation software such as Ansible and/or Puppet
- Use of source code repositories Git, SVN, etc.
- Appreciation of virtualisation and containerisation software such as VMWare, Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience of using and supporting Android devices
- SQL scripting knowledge
- MS SQL database administration experience – advantageous, but not essential
Occasional UK and international travel required
Full training on our metrology products will be provided