Hydroinformatics EngineerEngineering | South Bend, IN, United States
We’re Hiring for a Hydroinformatics Engineer!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The Hydroinformatics Engineer will be responsible for the development and implementation of algorithms and analytics for operational optimization of wastewater collection systems and treatment systems through the use of real time data, hydraulic modelling, machine learning and advanced control systems. A Hydroinformatics Engineer is a multidisciplinary engineer with optimization and hydraulic modeling skills and a passion for using data to improve urban watershed environmental and societal impact. In this role, the incumbent will support project execution for wastewater projects in our Decision Intelligence Solutions portfolio in North America. We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Solve complicated, open-ended water resources problems by applying optimization techniques and innovative data analytics over sensor data and hydraulic models.
- Facilitate integration of digital solutions across water sectors, including, but not limited to, coupled analysis, problem solving, and decision making across stormwater, wastewater and treatment systems.
- Communicate and collaborate with teams of water resource engineers and decision makers to define problems, strategize solution approaches, and bring solutions to implementation.
- Develop and manage large datasets. Communicate summaries and conclusions drawn from data in clear and concise ways, visually and verbally.
- Translate data analytics into language understood by water resource engineers and data analysts, both in the practitioner and research space.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be required based on organization needs
- Bachelor’s Degree (in Civil Engineering and/or Environmental Engineering or related field)
- 2-5 years of experience in Hydraulic modelling with software from Innovyze, US-EPA, OpenWaterAnalytics (specifically PySWMM), or DHI.
- Experience in implementation of Real-Time Decision Support Systems for wastewater/water utilities.
- Experience connecting to and testing rainfall forecasting tools including NOAA, Accuweather, or Climacell to support forecasting decision support systems.
- Experience developing hydrologic 2-D surface meshing models to be used in surface flooding analyses
- Previous experience programming in software languages such as Python, R, C, MATLAB, etc.
- 2-5 years of inter-disciplinary research or project work with multiple different engineering or science disciplines.
- Previous experience developing advanced geospatial information system (GIS) data analysis, using tools such as Python-GeoPandas, ESRI’s Arc GIS and ArcPy, or QGIS’s programming interface.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and eager to develop new skills
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams
- Good communication skills
- A focus on delivering great results quickly
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
The estimated salary range at this professional level is $92,000 to $123,156 plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, Wellness programs, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.