Drinking Water Decision Science ManagerEngineering | Columbia, MD, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Drinking Water Decision Science Manager will be responsible for managing the engineering team to drive excellence in project execution for projects in our digital portfolio (Decision Intelligence Solutions) in North America. The engineering team includes high performing, multidisciplinary data scientists and hydroinformatics engineers with optimization and hydraulic modeling skills and a passion for using data to improve urban watershed environmental and societal impact. This team is focused on the development and implementation of algorithms and analytics for optimized management of drinking water distribution and transmission systems, as well as the interactions between these systems through the use of real time data, hydraulic modelling, machine learning and advanced control systems. This position will manage a team primarily focused on delivering projects utilizing these Xylem solutions:
- Xylem Water Loss Management: A connected enterprise strategy ensures water safety, affordability and customer accessibility.
- Xylem Revenue Locator: Optimize revenue and reduce apparent losses by focusing on meter performance.
- Xylem Asset Performance Optimization: Protect your investments by identifying improvements and potential risks.
- Xylem Water Network Optimization: Manage drinking water distribution with real-time actionable insights and ensure water quality compliance while improving customer satisfaction.
This position offers the opportunity to join Xylem’s early-stage decision intelligence solutions technology team in their endeavor to revolutionize the ways water utilities solve age-old infrastructure problems. In today’s rapidly changing digital solutions landscape, drinking water utilities are trusting Xylem to lead them in their smart water journey; earning this trust begins with excellent engineering solutions, and delivery processes that embody the highest levels of technical integrity. You should thrive in a dynamic environment and bring proficient communication and leadership skills to the team. The successful candidate will demonstrate how past experiences and education, combined with a passion for improving our industry through digital services, can build and manage a highly motivated engineering team focused on client success.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Attract, develop, coach, and hold accountable a world class engineering team to complete technical initiatives, produce high quality work, and deliver client value.
- Provide technical leadership to the decision science team
- Work effectively with project managers, engineers, and the senior management team to forecast and allocate engineering resources appropriately across current and future projects to ensure the team has adequate resources to meet the client schedule, scope, and budget
- Function as a subject matter expert with clients and partners, and mobilize the team to effectively resolve project challenges
- Establish and enforce best practices and patterns in engineering design, delivery, and support.
- Hold team accountable for accurate documentation and maintenance of models/tools
- Foster a learning culture where the team is trained and equipped to deliver on our client commitments across different types of solutions
- Experience as a “player / coach” and leader of teams, ideally with a demonstrable track record of building high-performing team
- Answer complex technical questions regarding products, solutions and services, and take part in putting together project proposals including technical workplans and level of effort estimates
- Provide technical feasibility and balance resources for product development work as required to meet the needs of both client project delivery and product roadmap
- Work with Product Management and Client Success leadership team to ensure that the engineering team has sufficient resources and training to deliver new product offerings
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in a conventional field like Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics/Statistics, Data Science or equivalent. Technical Master degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of management experience
- 10+ total years of progressively responsible engineering experience, including substantial experience in water sector with utilities or municipalities
- Deep experience in delivering complex digital solutions projects and services for the water sector.
- Strong knowledge of digital solutions for the water sector, including decision support systems, SaaS, real-time control, and digital twins.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, motivating, retaining and effectively leading talented engineers and data scientists to perform against aggressive delivery goals
- Strong process discipline and personal leadership, including ability to partner with internal teams
- Experience working directly with non-technical stakeholders to explain complex topics/findings and deliver presentations.
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams
- Good communication skills
- A focus on delivering great results quickly
- Experience with project planning tools such as Smartsheets and Jira
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.