Automation & Digital Services TechnicianOperations | Toronto, ON, Canada
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Xylem seeks to hire a Automation & Digital Services Technician to perform a diversified range of service and sales activities within the Monitoring & Controls Group. The ideal candidate will support customers and other service staff members by delivering telephone guidance on troubleshooting and installation matters. They will also assist with application questions as potential customers call for recommendations by using basic to mid-level electrical theory, help remotely diagnose and resolve control and instrumentation issues at the customer’s site.
- Perform/ lead field instillations
- Read electrical schematic drawings to determine how to interface automation components.
- Field modifications to existing control panels to accommodate Xylem Monitoring & Controls (M&C) equipment to an exemplary standard.
- Install new control panels.
- Test installations following Xylem, NEC, UL and any other applicable safety codes / guidelines and / or procedures.
- Mark up schematics (for as built drawings) with field modifications for engineering updates.
- Field Troubleshooting: Provide onsite support to resolve Xylem customer controls issues. Using multi-meter, hand tools and basic to mid level electrical theory, diagnose and resolve control and instrumentation issues at the customers site.
- Conduct Training Seminars: Present M&C equipment operational seminars in a classroom environment. By utilizing multimedia tools, deliver adequate training to both customers and fellow service staff to enable them to take ownership of their Xylem M&C products.
- Support Direct & Distribution M&C Sales: As required, attend customer meetings, work with W&WW sales channels to provide training on the basic fundamentals of the M&C assortment, and attend engineering meetings to provide clarification on controls & telemetry solutions.
- Start Up Assistance: Provide onsite support to help commission Monitoring & Control products. This includes but is not limited to Xylem intelligent Pump Station Managers (iPSM), Pump Controllers, Protection devices, Submersible pumps, Electrical Control Panels and Treatment products.
- General Documentation: Create or edit procedures and best practices related to M&C start-up, installation, troubleshooting, configuration, etc. Perform the required administrative tasks associated with the M&C Service Specialist position (i.e. product improvement requests, product issues notifications, trip reports, customer follow-up communications, time sheets, travel authorizations requests and general filing/ recorded keeping on customer support issues)
- Increase M&C Service Knowledge: Identify and help develop additional M&C service support talent from within the existing Canadian Sales company service groups. Evaluate existing service personnel, establish training plans, assist/conduct classroom training and hands-on experience training, and help perform yearly capability audits.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
Minimal education & experience, essential skills & abilities and required license/certification to perform this job.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required – equivalent experience combined with Associates degree as an alternative.
- Prefer 2+ years’ experience in industrial controls and automation applications with a working knowledge of electrical control panels, SCADA, VFD’s, PLCs, telemetry, distributed control networks and industry standard communications protocols
- Toronto, Electrician license (Southern Ontario)
- Prefer 2+ years equipment maintenance experience in water and/or wastewater collection or treatment systems
- A basic & working understanding of the National Electrical Code specific to PLC type equipment, Variable speed drives, and motor controls centers amongst others.
- Highly motivated, clear thinking, strong communications skills, and ability to lead and make decisions
- Working knowledge in water/wastewater processes, including pumping and various treatment equipment
- Treatment focus around disinfection (UV, Ozone), aeration, and filtration
- Thorough understanding of systems troubleshooting and the benefits of establishing solid service practices for the operating and fiscal benefit of the company, distribution and the end-user.
- Very strong customer focus and interaction to ensure optimum relationships.
Additional preferences for a specific position.
- Must have proactive ES&H focus in and around company and customer worksites; as well as on travel to and from.
- Strong leadership, supervisory, prioritization and communication skills (written and verbal) are necessary to help define, develop and enforce initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Salesforce, and Xylem’s business systems.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development– To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards– We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks– Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate field equipment.
- Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 50 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop, Field or Customer location: May work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, etc., such as commonly found around manufacturing facilities, construction sites and drinking water/wastewater treatment plants.
Standard weekly job hours: 40+ hours
- As required to fulfill the duties listed above (up to 75% overnight travel). Other travel as needed or required by the company.