(On Site) Environmental Health Safety Security and Sustainability ManagerOperations | Bridgeport, NJ, United States
We’re Hiring an On-site Environmental, Health, Safety, Security & Sustainability Manager!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The (On-Site) Environmental, Health, Safety, Security & Sustainability Manager will be responsible for partnering with operational leadership teams as well as corporate EHS teams to develop, lead, manage, and sustain EHS-related activities and programs that yield a successful injury prevention and environmental footprint reduction campaign. In this role, the incumbent will also engage employees at all levels of the organization to sustain world-class safety culture and environmental performance. The position reports directly to the Senior Manager of EHS and Operational Sustainability. We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Strategic Oversight
- Serve as part of the site leadership team, directing, coaching, and acting as lead subject matter expert (SME) to EHS activities.
- Strategy planning, tactical execution, and delivery of critical EHS commitments
- Identify, mitigate, and/or eliminate occupational safety hazards using the hierarchy of controls methodology.
- Contribute to the global strategy which dictates goal development and deployment.
- Maintain a culture of compliance with Local, State, Federal, and Country regulations for occupational health, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Serve as lead and/or liaison when dealing with regulatory agencies
- Act as liaison to production supervision and personnel for exposure monitoring results, recommendations, and control strategies
- Lead efforts to reduce the environmental footprint in waste to landfill, water, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Assist in developing programs that continuously Improve injury prevention and occupational exposure
- Build cross-functional relationships with Business and Functional leaders to foster support for continual EHS improvement.
- Assist site with coordination, development, and delivery of EHS&S training and education programs for new hires and existing employees either by use of CBT or in-person training to meet regulatory and Xylem requirements.
- Coordinate the distribution and communication of applicable EHSMS elements at the site to support comprehension, implementation, and accountability.
- Participate in the Xylem Corporate EHS&S Audit Program to support ongoing compliance and management system audits at various operations and locations throughout Xylem. Serve as an audit team member and/or audit team leader.
- Ensure the Insurance carrier’s audit findings are closed within a reasonable time frame.
- Oversee and drive BCP, ERP, IH Monitoring, BBSO, Security, MOC, and XPS action plans with the site.
- Oversee (1) direct report. Manage dotted line reports, as applicable, with their personal and technical development, while driving accountability.
- Tactical Oversight
- Drive and expect zero injuries as an acceptable safety culture as a KPI.
- Drive and expect zero environmental NOVs as a KPI
- Monitor and drive 100% Training completion.
- Assist in maintaining safety-related permits and air monitoring equipment.
- Perform Job Hazard Analysis, system auditing, and ergonomic task analysis.
- Monitor contractor safety compliance.
- Act as Incident Commander by managing the containment, clean up, and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Identify, monitor, and mitigate health and safety activities related to occupational noise.
- Complete, communicate, and manage the site’s risk assessment and overall mitigation plans/projects.
- Outline the annual capital budget needed for injury prevention investments.
- Maintain safety, DOT, and environmental metrics.
- Manage recordkeeping (OSHA 300, IMSS, or EHS)
- Lead, direct, and perform environmental (Air, Water, Waste) regulatory inspections including “cradle to grave” environmental audits of Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities (TSDF)
- Lead, direct, manage, and coach teams on accident investigations and help facilitate the programs and procedures to ensure work-related injuries are reported and investigated to prevent reoccurrences.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be required based on the organization’s needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- 5+ years’ experience working as a safety professional in an industrial or manufacturing environment.
- 3+ years supervising direct reports.
- Construction experience preferred.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Occupational Health and Safety Technologists (OHST) preferred.
- Federal OSHA and state-equivalent programs for occupational safety and health for general industry.
- Federal MSHA and state-equivalent programs for occupational safety and health for surface and subsurface mines.
- Federal EPA and state-equivalent programs for environmental protection.
- Department of Transportation (DOT) programs.
- Behavioral-based safety concepts involving industrial and manufacturing processes.
- Proficiently competent with the use of computers and Microsoft Word PowerPoint, and Excel.
Additional Information/ Work Environment:
In this role, the working environment is onsite and does incorporate field-level operations. You can expect to have office duties where you will regularly require sitting or standing, walking, reaching, bending, and moving about the facility. Field-level operations will include observing and auditing and may be exposed to extreme cold or hot conditions which may require walkthroughs through construction sites (forests, hills, ditches, and rough, rocky terrain}. Must wear the required PPE while in the field, shops, yards, distribution center, and manufacturing area. In addition, this role may travel to neighboring branches to help support EHS activities and this role will be Mon – Friday 8-5 pm but at times may require Sat/Sun EHS support.
The estimated salary range for this position is $100,000 to $115,000 plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.