Senior Mechanical EngineerEngineering | Aguascalientes, Mexico, Mexico
We’re Hiring a Senior Mechanical Engineer!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the development and ongoing engineering support of the Xylem portfolio of metrology and AMI products that interface with water and gas metering products and systems. This position is responsible for developing and supporting new and existing designs that meet utility and industry requirements as well as internal requirements for cost effectiveness, accuracy, performance, and reliability. Additionally, this position will:
- Work within and/or lead the design engineering team in the development of new products from conceptualization through production launch. Ensure all aspects of the mechanical design meet performance, schedule, quality, and cost requirements.
- Conduct design reviews and work within cross-functional teams including electrical, software, firmware, manufacturing, marketing, and supply chain.
- Ensure the product design meets desired performance, regulatory and reliability requirements, with the use of engineering tools such as tolerance analysis, FEA, and 3D CAD modeling.
- Generate system specifications, product requirements, mechanical component and assembly drawings, and manufacturing process requirements to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Work with domestic and international manufacturing teams to implement DFA/DFM principles during development, creation, and/or implementation of assembly processes for new products and ongoing support for existing products.
- Develop, conduct, and/or manage component and system level test plans to support new product development.
- Assist Quality, Marketing, and System Test in approving tooling, alternate supplier qualification, and investigating and analyzing defective product returned from customers.
- Assist system engineers and marketing program managers in making recommendations for solutions to specific metering applications.
- Interface with various in house and third-party Automated Meter Reading (AMR) companies on the integration of their technology with the Xylem portfolio of metering products.
- Have the ability to motivate and mentor engineers.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- At least 8 + years of experience with product design. Experience with rugged environmental and submersible enclosures, utility metering products, and sensor based products for high volume production preferred.
- Experience with electromagnetic flow meters and other solid state metrology methods and technologies.
- Broad experience with part fabrication including injection molding, casting, machining, and stampings. Extensive knowledge of associated techniques and tools.
- Familiarity with common product manufacturing processes such as hot plate welding, heat staking, ultrasonic welding, potting, and Parylene coating.
- Expert experience with 3D CAD modeling software and data management tools. Creo (Pro Engineer) and Windchill preferred.
- Experience with tolerance analysis and GD&T. FEA experience a plus.
- Product testing and root cause analysis skills. Familiarity with regulatory agency requirements such as ANSI, AWWA, UL, and Intrinsic Safety a plus.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast paced team environment where you will interface regularly with electrical, back-end software, firmware, and system test engineers on system level design development.
- Desire and ability to learn new tools, processes, and design techniques.
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations on cost control, reliability and manufacturability issues, and to maintain aggressive development schedules.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to convey technical concepts in business terms and fluency in English.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.