Manager, Mechanical Engineering - HybridEngineering | Yellow Springs, OH, United States
We’re Hiring for a Mechanical Engineering Manager!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
This position will serve as the manager of a small mechanical engineering team serving the New Product Development group of R&D and contributes technically as an active senior mechanical engineering team member. Contributions directly impact the success of all product lines and systems introduced by YSI. This role reports directly to the Sr. Engineering Manager of New Product Development.
Job Specifications and Work Performed:
· Provide oversight for mechanical engineers by:
o Working closely with team members by taking a hands-on approach to lead the execution of product development, ensuring on-time, on-budget and high-quality system deliverables.
o Managing day-to-day tasks and performance of direct reports.
o Providing mentorship and constructive feedback to direct reports on completion of goals.
o Hire and train mechanical engineering staff to ensure a strong technical and operational foundation.
· Maintain and develops engineering standards, best practices, and processes
· Hands-on leadership method demonstrating best practices to team through actions and provide senior level Mechanical Engineering skills towards completions of above responsibilities, using Solidworks, Oracle, and other toolsets used in alignment with YSI Design to Release Process.
· Provide mechanical engineering expertise in creation and maintenance of internal control drawings
· Provide mechanical engineering expertise to Purchasing to assist in the procurement of parts
· Provide mechanical engineering expertise in design for testing and evaluation of designs and interaction with other design engineers, quality assurance, and manufacturing personnel to complete final testing and implementation of new products
· Reviews engineering tools and methods and continuously works to improve the engineering environment.
· Documents the concepts, design, testing, and analysis for systems developed.
· Assure the accuracy, clarity, internal integrity, consistency, and timeliness of all technical information submitted.
· Assist with development of product technical objectives and alternative strategies.
· Authority to sign Engineering Change Orders.
· Drive continuous improvements into engineering processes and policies. Reviews engineering tools and practices and works to improve engineering environment including interpretation, guidance and strategies on technologies and methodologies affecting product approvals, development, and continued product compliance.
· Assessing and evaluating new and existing technologies that are opportunities or threats.
· Support manufacturing teams with design and support services as required
· Conduct and support field failure analysis
· Works with Marketing on the development of specifications for new products.
· Creation of invention disclosures and support for patent applications
· Provide updates/reports to senior management.
· Assume other activities and responsibilities as directed.
Experience & Academic Requirements
· Must have 5+ years of experience managing Engineering departments or staff.
· Must have 10+ years of experience encompassing the area of responsibilities.
· Must have BS in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
· Must have 10 years of CAD experience, Solidworks 2020+ preferred
· Familiarity with analytical and simulation design tools (FEA)
· Must be familiar with tooling, plastic molding, sealing, assembly processes and sensor packaging
· Must demonstrate mastery of mechanical design process and mechanical drawing standards
· Experience in mechanical sealing (O-rings, epoxies, etc.) necessary for underwater applications and harsh environments preferred
· Experience in opto-mechanical component design and layout is a plus
· Must demonstrate advanced knowledge in design for manufacturability
· Knowledge of Quality Systems, ISO-9000 desirable
· Proficient in the use of information technology tools such as email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Key Skills and Attributes
· Excellent written and oral communication skills. Requires ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written language. Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations.
· Detail-oriented with exceptional data analysis, analytical reasoning and interpretation skills. An effective problem solver with active imagination and comfortable with ambiguity.
· Ability to work collaboratively with diverse workforce and customer base, both domestic and international.
· A passion to gain a deep understanding of our customers, their responsibilities, and their challenges.
· Strong leadership, and team interaction skills.
· Ability to multi-task effectively.
· Must have the ability to produce “clean sheet” design concepts for new products
· Participative management style that advocates team concept.
· Capable of using computer-based tools to facilitate and delegate responsibilities.
· Poise, good judgment, and confidence to represent the Company.
· Ensures compliance with Company's and regulatory policies and procedures.
· Minimum 8 hours/day
· 5% travel
· General office environment (in office or from home office), laboratory, manufacturing area, field sites, treatment plants or research areas requiring the ability to stand or sit for long periods of time. Personal protective equipment maybe required to be used. Position requires the ability to work with computers
· May need the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.